Chapter 41

"I was looking for a breath of life

A little touch of heavenly light
But all the choirs in my head sang no

To get a dream of life again
A little of vision of the start and the end
But all the choirs in my head sang no

But I only needed one more touch
Another taste of heavenly rush
And I believe, I believe it so

And I only needed one more touch
Another taste of devouring rush
And I believe, I believe it so

Whose side am I on, whose side am I?

And the fever began to spread
From my heart down to my legs
But the room was so quiet

And although I wasn't losing my mind
It was a chorus so sublime
But the room is too quiet

It's a harder way
And it's come to claim her
And I always say
We should be together
I can see below
'Cause there's something in here
And if you are gone
I will not belong here

And I started to hear it again
But this time it wasn't the end
And the room was so quiet, oh

And my heart is a hollow plain
For the devil to dance again
And the room was too quiet"

Breath of life, Florence and the Machine

~~~~~~~

Tom could hear the sound of his heartbeats as he proceeded silently along another dark corridor.
He stopped when he heard something moving the air and turned aiming his wand in front of him, just to see another flash of light down the corridor.

"Sir!" he exclaimed as also Dumbledore lowered his wand.
"Found nothing?" the professor asked speeding to reach him.
"Nothing, sir. What about you? I guess it's useless to keep roaming around".
"I only found you" Dumbledore murmured as they kept walking down the corridor "I admit that this inspection isn't enjoyable as I expected it to be".
Tom agreed, then he felt his body stiffening.
"What's this...tension in the air?" he asked trying to give a name to the unpleasant feeling that was paralyzing him.
Also the teacher stopped and waved his wand around them. Quickly he grabbed the boy's wrist "Stay close to me. This is the smell of dark magic".
Tom looked at him frightened, but his instinct already warned him of the danger that the teacher just confirmed "We need to find Evelyn. Now!".

They casted more spells to illuminate the corridors.
Dumbledore used more advanced spells to detect people and used the signals as a compass.
Tom followed him until he stopped abruptly, turning back from where they came.
"I think I heard some noises from there. Like a scream" he murmured staring at the teacher.
"It could be just a suggestion. The spell warns us to go that way" Dumbledore encouraged him to hurry.

Finally they spotted a shadow, but when they reached bumped into its owner they realized their mistake.
It wasn't Evelyn.
It was the vampire, Dimitri.
"What are you doing here?" Dumbledore asked trying to sound polite but he was panting from the run.
Tom didn't lower his wand and stared at the creature with anger.
"I smell something weird. Fresh blood" the vampire said uneasily "Otherwise I wouldn't come down here. But I can't control my instinct".
"What have you done?" Tom shouted, but Dumbledore grabbed his shoulder to stop him from attacking the vampire.
"Nothing! I did nothing. I swear!" Dimitri raised his arms to cover his face and crouched on the floor.
"Can you find the source of the smell you sense?" Dumbledore asked kindly.
The vampire glanced at him and nodded. He straightened up carefully and led the way.