Chapter 7

"Somewhere another pretty vein just dies
I've got the scars from tomorrow and I wish you could see
That you're the antidote to everything except for me
A constellation of tears on your lashes
Burn everything you love
Then burn the ashes
In the end everything collides
My childhood spat back the monster that you see
My songs know what you did in the dark"

My songs know what you did in the dark, Fall Out Boy

~~~~~~~~~

After the Christmas break, the castle was crowded again with students.
"You got a Comet 180! Finally we can practice together!" Corvus exclaimed patting Tom on his shoulder, before he could hush him. Their housemates turned their attention to him and he didn't enjoy that.
"Did your mother buy that?" Malfoy asked, his voice muffled by the food he was chewing.
"No" Tom raised his shoulders "I don't know who sent me this".
"How's that possible? No card, nobody claimed to be the one to buy you that?" Corvus widened his eyes.
"No. Nothing at all" Tom confirmed.
"Maybe a mistake?".
Tom shrugged again, shame making his shoulders heavy.
"Well, all that matters is that you got it so it's yours now. Cheers, mate, you've got the best broom" Corvus patted his back.
"Can I ride it sometimes?" Alphard Black asked.

Delighted Evelyn watched the group of boy gathered around Tom and his new broom.
"It seems that the Slytherin team has finally a new fresh player" Emma commented following her gaze.
"The selections are very strict" Eileen commented "Lestrange and Black have a lot of support. Although Riddle seems very good at flying".
"Ross says he would be a good seeker" Emma marked "And Wilkes, the Captain of our Team, wants to train a new seeker to replace the current one next year".
"Let's bet on Riddle as the next seeker?" Eileen suggested.
Evelyn kept herself out of any bet.

After jumping down from the train in London, she had had to hurry to complete her mission before Christmas morning. She had needed the money, used Milly's parents' name for the purchase and used their owl to send that present to his address.
And now seeing Tom's joy covered by his shyness as he looked at his new broom just made her feel proud of her job.
She didn't know if he wanted to join the Quidditch team, at least he had the chance to choose.

Weeks later she went to watch the Slytherin team practicing. Tom had been asked to join them to find what role suited him the best.
Evelyn focused on him, fearing to undistinguish him from the other players who wore the same uniform.
A soft touch on her legs distracted her.
"Merlin!" She exclaimed. But that was also the name of the black cat that was brushing himself against her robes. She patted him on the head, crossing his emerald eyes.
"He is another Quidditch lover" Corvus Lestrange stammered on the bleachers to sit next to her "I didn't expect to find you here".
She forced a smile "I had some free time. And I need some fresh air and a warm sun after all those cold, grey days. Why are you not practicing?".
"I already did last week. Now it's Riddle's turn. You didn't come to watch me" he gave her a scolding glance.
Evelyn looked down at the cat that rested on her feet "I hope I can do that next time, Corvus. You should keep a raven, not a black cat" she smirked pointing at the ravens flying above their heads.
"Corvus means crow" she explained to his confused face.
"Oh, yeah, you're right" he giggled "I wish I can also fly like a crow so I can join the team. But I'm afraid Tom is better than me".
She looked at the players "You can join the team together. Wouldn't it be great? Tom is also your roommate, right?".
"Yeah. He's the only boy who can tame Merlin, that's why we ended up sharing the same room when we first arrived here. While Merlin likes girls, he's just like me...".
Evelyn frowned at his smirk "So how is Tom as roommate? Does he have a skeleton in the cupboard?".
Corvus shrugged "He is like always, meticulous. Very strict in keeping his part of his room as his kingdom, while I have to stay in my half room. And forbids any weird things to enter the room. But he doesn't snore, if that's what matter to you. If he would, Merlin would hiss at him and eventually scratch him as he does with my parents".
It rang a bell in her mind. Tom wasn't just a Parselmouth, he was emphatic also to other animals. Her Tom was also good at taming people to his dark will...
Evelyn felt a hiss and startled, seeing Merlin jumping away from her with his fur raised in a menacing way.
"Shh, Merlin!" Corvus shoved his cat away "Sorry. He doesn't like when someone crushes his tail".
Evelyn watched the cat trotting away, wondering if actually the cat could sense the darkness of her thoughts or the brooding atmosphere that was raising.