May paused and then laughed. She walked over and grabbed Evie by the shoulders.

"Girlfriend! You should have just led with that. You know I'm all for a party." May grinned and practically leapt out of the room. I know. Evie thought to herself, shooting one last look in the mirror before following her out.

They were halfway down the marble stairs when she heard her mother call out from behind.

"Evelyn, honey. Where are you girls going?" Evie and May turned around slowly.

"Hi Mrs ElClaire," May said politely. Never mind the fact that May and Evie had known each other since they were seven, or that May's older brother Sam worked for Evie's father. No, always Mrs ElClaire, never Gloria.

Gloria, in a glowing white party dress that seemed to highlight more than hide her wrinkled skin, stood regally on the balcony overlooking the entrance hall. One hand checked on her permed up-do, the other held a cosmopolitan; she looked straight out of a 70s cover shoot. And that's what she looks like when there's no guests.

"Out," Evie said, one hand nervously playing with her necklace. She watched as her mother looked them over, pausing on the exposed skin and glitter-smeared shoulders. To Evie's relief she said nothing, just pursed her lips in a way that Evie knew she'd pay for this later.

"I hope Dylan will be there? What a clever, handsome young man. You must invite the Fresh family over for dinner again, they are such a delight." She went to clap her hands together but remembered the cocktail. Instead she sipped her cosmo delicately. Evie's stomach soured, but she was careful not to let it show.

"Of course mother, and yes, I will," Evie said sweetly, hooking her arm through May's and swivelling them around.

A second later they were out the door, purses and coats in hand, barreling for Evie's BMW. May shook her head as she got into the passenger seat.

"Your mother... heaven help you." They both laughed, and as Evie ignited the engine, May blared the music. Narrow escape.

The Joses lived only a couple streets down, but if Evie and May left on foot, her mother would know something was up. She could even hear her voice, as she'd said many times before, "A respectable young lady would only travel in a vehicle, she would never walk to anything."

So a couple minutes later they turned into the Joses' driveway, circular around an enormous fountain set with swaying palm trees. Evie parked by the door, remembering to leave a wide gap in front of her to avoid being parked in. As they got out, you could hear the faint thump of music, and people trickled in through the front doors.

"Hello my party people!" May called out as they entered in, greeted in response by raised arms of red cups and a chorus of drunk cries. Evie followed after her, game face ready and set in a smile. Immediately people were all over them, talking gossip and fashion and rumours. Stella and Isabell were soon at her side, the latter handing her a red plastic cup filled with...

"Vodka and orange juice?" Evie raised an eyebrow. Her Spanish friend laughed at the look of disgust and grabbed the cup, chugging it down herself. In between gulps she said: "Still a stuck up bitch then huh."

Evie pushed her friend lightly, causing Isabell to fall into a handsome basketball player behind her. Isabell turned around in his arms and pushed him away, eyes lit up and mouth curling into a smirk. He grinned back and she blew a kiss his way.

"In his dreams." She said, turning back to her girls, but they all knew full well that in half an hour both would have suddenly disappeared. And would reappear half an hour after that, one after the other, hair dishevelled and breathing heavily.