11 | Gold Mind of Information

177 Days Until

It had been two days since the cabin trip. Two days of being at work.

Niall and Penny Becker had figured out a plan in the past two days about her ten-year-old sons birthday at the museum. It would be that Saturday at noon, and once it was over and little Drew was happy with his birthday, she would pull back from the venue on Libby and Wes' wedding date. All Niall had to do was talk to Emma.

He hadn't talked to Emma since she was dropped off at her place once they gotten back to Boston. He'd seen her around, leaving the break room from the other side as he was entering, across the room when she was on a tour. She seemed to be friendly enough, smiling at him whenever their eyes met, but Niall felt guilty just the same.

Emma did deserve to know what was going on with him, and how he felt about a particular golden eyed Egyptian goddess. So he spent the two days trying to figure everything out, how he felt, what to do about the text message he had received the morning they had all left the cabin, and the mysterious understanding in Mack's eye when they were talking on the balcony about their break up over two years ago.

From beside him, Jacob let out a loud groan as he placed the last document in the folder. "If I knew this is the work I'd be doing, I would have gotten a different degree."

"This isn't what archaeology is all about," Niall assured him. "Just this particular job."

"Well this particular jobs sucks."

Niall handed him another stack. "And it's not finished."

Jacob let out another dramatic groan. "I can't wait to get out of here."

"At least you can go home after," Niall complained as he filed another sheet of paper that listed the archaeological material, the date it came into existence, and when and where it was found into a folder. "I've got wedding stuff I have to attend."

Jacob's eyes went wide. "You're getting married?"

"What? No," he laughed. "My mates are making me tag along with them. They say it's for a good reason, but I'm half convinced it's to punish me for something I've done in the past. Actually, I know that's the reason."

"Gross," Jacob agreed. "It's one thing to go to those things when it's your own wedding, but for someone else? No thanks. Not that I've ever gotten married to know that for sure, but I can imagine it's awful."

Niall lifted a shoulder in a half shrugged. "I've gotten used to it, but it's really starting to take its toll on me."

"Just tell them you can't do it," Jacob offered. "Say you're behind at work and can't make it. Then go home and sleep and never wake up."

"Tempting, but it won't work."

Jacob squinted at one of the sheets of paper, trying to read it. After a moment he rolled his eyes and threw it back down on the pile. "I quit. This sucks. Maybe they'll just lay me off in pity."

Niall looked over at him. "So you heard the rumor then?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Max texted me on Sunday morning telling me the layoffs. I take it he texted you, too?"

"A wonderful way to end a vacation," Niall confirmed. "I don't want to put it out there, but I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those people."

"Why do you say that?"

"I can't imagine they'd need more than one curatorial assistant, especially since they've been giving us crap jobs like this just to make sure we get our eight hours of work in a day. And you've been here longer then I have," Niall explained as he filed another paper. "They don't have enough things for us to do. I should start packing my bags now."