Chapter 14 - A Confession

Trigger Warning: Domestic Ab*se

Crutchie's POV 

I watched as Clara stared off into the sunset. The summer breeze blowing just enough that strands of hair had crowded her face. She truly was the most perfect girl I had ever seen.

"My mother was the most amazin' woman, she was so kind, always put others before herself as well. And she was so beautiful, she had the longest brunette, wavy hair with bright blue eyes and freckles that scattered her face", she smiled and closed her eyes, as if living through the memory, "my father left us when about a week after my fifth birthday, I barely got to know 'im and spent my whole life wonderin' what it would be like if he didn't leave", she continued, her voice was soft and words quiet. Had she not told anyone this story before?

"After he left my mother took care of us, she worked as a seamstress at a small shop down 20th. It was just her and one other woman, I think her husband owned the place. We called her Aunt Sarah, she died of polio a year before Ma did", she looked at me with sympathy filled eyes, "My mother gave up her entire salary for us for 6 years, up until my brothers starting workin' for Pulitzer at 13". At this point Clara sighed and shut her eyes tighter, as if each memory was more painful than the last.

"For a while, we were well off. My brothers make a pretty decent money and my mother, for the first time in years, was able to rest, but It wasn't enough for me. I wanted a father, I had spent my whole life wonderin' what he was like, wonderin' if maybe he could still love us, and then, when I was 14, I found him". She took a deep breath before continuing.

"He was a trolley worker in lower manhattan, I instantly knew it was him because he had the same birthmark as Oscar and Morris on his neck. I explained to him that I was his daughter and his first reaction was to hug me. I was shocked. This man who left me was huggin' me affectionately. He explained that he regretted his decision to leave us and wanted us back, and my dumb ass belived him. For weeks, after his work, I'd meet with him and he would buy me gifts of food. Then one day he asked me if he could see my mother, so I took him to her.", Clara returned to closing her eyes, trying to hide the tears welling up, "My brothers were at work and It was just my mother at home. This son of a bitch walked into our apartment, pinned her to the wall by her neck and demanded she give him money as 'he never got to take care of his kid so she should pay', despite the fact he left us. When she refused he shot her. Right in the head, and then left".

Silent tears ran down Clara's face. "He shot her, right in front of me and left me with her dead corpse alone. I was 14 Crutchie, and I had to sit in an apartment, silent, scared and alone while I waited for my brothers", by now she was sobbing and unable to look me in the eye.

"And the worst part is, it's my fault. If I had just settled for what I had this wouldn't have happened".

I sat in silence for a second. Everything became extremely clear. Why the Delancey's were so aggressive towards the world. Why mention of their father had made them so mad before the strike. In that moment I made the conscious decision to forgive them for each action.

I looked over to see Clara sobbing into her hands.

"Hey, It ain't your fault Clara, he was a bad person, you couldn't have known that'', I lifted her onto my lap, moving away from the ledge of the building, and held her. Letting her sob into me.

"Thanks for listenin' Crutchie", she smiled down at me, letting her arms rest around my neck. "I never told anyone else that".

"Always Clara, I love you, I ain't gonna let you sit here and blame yourself for something you didn't do".

"I love you too, Crutchie", she responded, leaning in and leaving a light kiss on my cheek and then resting her head on my shoulder. We sat in silence like this for a few minutes, and it was perfect to say the least.

"So, I told you my deepest darkest secret, now you gotta tell me yours", she said, wiping away her last tears.

I cringed and lifted her off my lap, placing her gently beside me. "Okay, okay, but you can't tell anyone this, not even Jack", I said, making her laugh slightly.

"Deal", she giggled. Jesus this girl is adorable.

"My name isn't actually Crutchie".

"Yeah, no surprise there".

"Hey, hey, let me finish", I grinned at her, "My name is Charles Morris Albert".

Clara snorted, "you're joking".

"Unfortunately not", I sighed, cringing.

"Well, I was dreaming about being Mrs Morris, but maybe I'll have to dream, about bein' Mrs Albert instead", I blushed at the pure mention of us being married

"Y-yeah, maybe you will".

Clara let out an adorable little laugh and leant against my shoulder once again, as we watched the sunset over New York. For a few perfect minutes.

"KNEW YOU TWO WOULD FIGURE IT OUT". Jack Kelly stood at the top of the fire escape. He had a habit of turning up when needed, this was not one of those times.

"Yeah, we did", Clara laughed before leaning in and kissing me.