Chapter 2 - The Penthouse

Crutchie's POV 

I managed to hall myself up to the top of the newsies lodge.

"Took ya long enough". Jack Kelly leant against the railing of the rooftop, looking out on the bustling streets of Manhattan.

"Had trouble selling me last pape, dey's killing us with dis headline", I laughed, throwing my crutch onto the ledge of the building.

Jack turned to me and smirked, letting out a small laugh, "Hey, headlines don't sell papes-"

"Yeah, yeah I know, Newsies sell papes. Now would ya give me hand up". I said, sticking out my hand, genturing for him to pull me up. Jack grinned at me and pulled me up onto the ledge.

Jack was like a brother to me. When I was first dumped at the newsboy lodging house, he was the first to really make me feel at home. I was 10 at the time, Jack was barely 12. He taught me how to sell papers and live with what little newsies got. He even gave me my name; 'Crutchie'.

I looked over Manhattan, taking in the streets. Though the sun had set, people we're still bustling home, presumably from work. You could barely make out the moon and stars through the smog and light polluted air. For a second I even thought I saw the Delancey brothers pass by. The pure thought of them sent shivers down my spine, even on this summer night.

"So, do anything interestin' today?", Jack turned to face me, snapping me away from my trance.

"Nah, just the usual, you?".

Jack smirked at me, "Same old, same old, saw Katherine for lunch".

"Lemme guess, she paid?", I grinned at him.

"Yeah, yeah", he laughed and punched me lightly, eventually turning back to look over the street.

"You know", he said, breaking the comfortable silence. "I thought I saw ya when I was heading down 41st at around 6:00".

My mind traced back to Clara, and I smiled slightly.

"So, ya gonna tell me who the girl is?".

I laughed and nodded a little. "Yeah, 'er name is Clara, she was...nice".

Jack shook his head and grinned, "nah, I saw how youse was looking at her, you think she's all that and a cup of coffee".

I felt my face flush bright red.

"uh-I-I guess she's pretty", I managed to get out.

"Yeah, me thinks, now this is just from what I saw, but me thinks, you carry a torch for this 'Clara", Jack chuckled even more at my inability to speak. "You should go for it, any girl would be lucky to have ya", he winked at me, "Welp, imma hit the hay, Night Crutchie". He lays down on the rooftop, covering his eyes with his cap.

Clara was undoubtedly beautiful, and I definitely wanted to see her again, but I didn't carry a torch for her. Did I?

"Oh and Crutchie", Jack yelled from the corner. "Don't make too much noise thinkin' 'bout 'er, I's seeing Katherine tomorrow and don't wanna be too tired".