Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

Perry nodded. "That was a rare gift," he said. "To have someone you love truly come to you after they've died."

"I know," Dominae said. "And I'm glad that he did. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my heart."

"Perhaps it has," said Perry. He smiled at Dominae. "I'm glad you had that, then. It's helped you greatly, it seems."

"It has," she agreed. "I'm ready to go back home and go on with my life," she said. She looked between the two of them. "I wish I didn't have to leave you guys behind, though."

"We'll be with you in spirit," said Torrin. "Thinking of you always."

She nodded and smiled. "And I'll be thinking of you," she said. "When you look at it that way, you're never far away. Always in my heart." She tapped her chest and looked from Torrin to Perry. "Thank you both so much for everything you've done for me."

"Anything for a friend," said Perry.

"Aye," Torrin agreed, though Dominae noticed that he turned his face away. "Anything for a friend," he echoed. "I think I need some sleep." Torrin stood and nodded to both of them. "Good night, Perry, Dominae. See you both tomorrow."

When he was gone, Perry said, "He hates the thought of you leaving, but he knows it's for the best." The dragon sighed. "It was difficult for him to urge you to leave. It isn't easy for me, either, but he feels something very different for you."

Dominae nodded. "I know," she said. "I wish I could stay."

"I told you from the start, he was bound to lose you," said Perry. He shrugged. "He knew it as well. That doesn't mean he wants to sit here and think about it."

"You think he went upstairs to brood?"

"Let him be," said Perry. "Going up there now would make things harder for him. It would give him false hope."

"I..." She sighed. "You're right, Perry." She looked down at the table. "He's been there for me, so many times. If I could do this one thing for him..."

"But you can't," Perry said. "And asking you to would be wrong. He knows that, Domi. He's resigned himself to it."

Dominae nodded. "This sucks," she said. "I hate this. I hate leaving him that way."

"It was his choice, not yours."

"He didn't have a choice, Perry," she said. "I got him interested in me, and then I... I dumped him."

"He's a grown man," said Perry. "He had a choice, Dominae."

"I still hate this," she said.

"Aye," Perry agreed. "But there's nothing you can do about it, except be his friend and understand that you are leaving soon, and we are staying. The kindest thing you could do is let him be now."

Dominae sighed and nodded. "All right," she said.

"Good," said Perry. "That's settled. Perhaps you ought to sleep, Dominae."

"I don't want sleep," she said. "I want to spend the night awake."

"As you like," said Perry. He stood. "But it's time for this old dragon to get some sleep. Good evening to you."

"Night, Perry," she said. By the time he was gone, she was already deep in her own thoughts.

###