15 | hollow promises

chapter fifteen
HOLLOW PROMISES
"taste my disaster, it's heavy on my tongue."

Evelynn hated blood transfusions

The needles were uncomfortable, the medicine made her feel weird, and afterwards she was always sick. And as soon as she started to feel better, she did it all over again.

Her glorified prison cell of a room now had a hospital chair with a metal tube above it that runs outside of her room to supply a stranger with her blood.

Evelynn sighed heavily as her door opened. She pulled her sore body up in bed, preparing herself for another transfusion.

Instead she was met with a worried looking familiar face.

"Ian?" She asked, shocked to see him. She crawled to the end of her bed to meet him.

He smiled at her, but she could see the panic behind his facade. He probably knew she was sick, "Hey, are you okay?"

Evelynn eyes fell on Dr. Tsing watching her intensely a few feet behind her son. She didn't know how to answer, she didn't know how much Lorelei Tsing told her son.

Ian's mom butted him quickly, "Ian wouldn't stop asking about you and I figured he should get the opportunity for this transfusion. I explained and he understands why you have to stay here."

Evelynn's lips formed a straight line, unsure of how to react to that statement.

He knew? He seemed so okay with it.

Ian watched her with concern evident in his face, but it faded as he brightened, pulling a book from the backpack he was wearing.

"I almost forgot, Fox and Nadiya asked me to give this to you if I saw you. They said you were reading it."

Evelynn leapt and grabbed the book from his hands, a surge of new happiness striking her. She pressed he copy of the Iliad to her chest in a tight hug, a smile spreading along her face, "Thank you!"

Ian nodded, grinning with her.

Dr. Tsing coughed, breaking apart the happy moment, "We should start the transfusion now."

Evelynn slowly let the book drop from her embrace onto her bed, complying. Her mood plummeting.

This was unlike other procedures, since Ian was in her room, presumably just so his mother wouldn't have to deal with his persistent questioning. So Evelynn stayed in bed while Ian took her usual hospital chair.

Tsing approached Evelynn, needle in hand. Knowingly, Evelynn rolled up her sweater sleeves to give the doctor access to her stronger veins.

"Holy—" Ian suddenly exclaimed, but he quickly covered it up with a cough, obviously afraid of his mother's reaction to his outburst.