Warm Welcome

Packing away belongings was becoming too familiar for you in recent times. You wondered when you would have to do it again. You had been assured stability at the Sohma house, but how could anyone guarantee that; even someone as sure of himself as Hatori. Truth be told you were looking forward to working alongside him. He seemed smart and strong, and wise beyond his years. You had to take most of your stuff out of storage, as you had been living out of a hotel room for the past month. You were lucky your parents left behind their small fortune for you and your sister to split. You were unlucky that Hana was their favorite.

Your portion would dry up quick if you weren't careful, if you weren't offered this job. It truly was a great opportunity. You tried to think only positive thoughts as you pulled into the Sohma village.

This proved difficult when you caught sight of the residents poking their heads through doorways, peaking through windows. The place seemed familiar and foreign all at the same time. You had been here once. Had danced on your father's feet at celebrations and seen many extraordinary things you thought were only imagination. Yet now it felt colder here. Closed. You wondered if you were remembering it all wrong.

We have a tendency to glamorize the old times. Nostalgia can be cruel as well as merciful.

You left the trunk of your car open and struggled with a heavy box to your door. Pulling the keys from your pocket you nearly tossed them in the air when you heard the voice behind you.

"Need any help with that?"

It was a boy, handsome, with white hair and fair skin. His voice was gentle and his offer seemed genuine. You laughed lightly at yourself and said, "Oh no, thank you. Really, it's not much."

"Well then we'll finish quickly won't we?" He smiled before going to your car and pulling out your garbage bag full of clothes. You were embarrassed and almost asked him to stop, but were honestly glad for the help. It really wasn't much, but you were more thankful that someone offered to help. It helped the positive thoughts.

You thanked him and invited him in after he had dumped off the last box.
"I know the tea is in one of these boxes.." you added a giggle as you spun around helplessly.

"I'll start the water." he said, easily finding your teapot.

You fiddled with the packets of chamomile you'd stolen from your hotel and sat up on the counter. "Thank you again, uh.." you trailed off, hoping he'd realize. You'd seen his picture in the file, but the name was escaping your memory. "Hatsuharu." You both nodded quaintly and you introduced yourself. "(Y/n)."
"Yeah I know.." He blew a breath threw his nose and pulled himself onto the countertop across from you.

"Hari showed me your picture. He said you'd be back... This one's special he said."

You furrowed your brows and tried to think of what to say. Truthfully, you had no idea. You weren't expecting that from Hatori, who was the only person you'd previously met from the family.

"I'm sorry, I've made you uncomfortable." He said, sliding down the edge of the counter.
"No, no! Honestly.. I just uh... I don't know what to say. I don't know what's so special about me, other than my last name." You shrugged.

"That thought is more common than you'd think around here.." he stared at the floor now, and his right hand fiddled with his thumb.

The whistle of the teapot broke the silence and the two of you ended up drinking your tea on the floor. "You're a 2nd year, right?" Hatsuharu smiled coyly and spoke into his tea.

"Hari told you?"

"I remembered." You nodded.

"Most people say I look older. It's like I have to convince strangers I'm still a sophomore."

He said it nonchalantly, but you could tell it was something that affected him; it certainly would have affected you.

"I can see you. You're still very young, and you can see it in your eyes, if you take the time to look... It must be hard though. People thinking you're older than you are. Having to grow up quicker to accommodate other people's assumptions. You've still got plenty of time to be a kid, and a grown up. Make sure you allow time for both. Don't let other people stop you from being whoever you are, in this moment."

You drank your cooling tea when you realized you were rambling, but when you looked up, Hatsuharu didn't seem to mind. In fact, it seemed your words had struck him with something.

"Hari was right." Was all he said.

You let Haru (as he'd insisted you call him) out after tea, and you both were surprised to see the sun almost completely set. "Sorry I stole your whole day, but thanks for the help, kid." You joked.
"I didn't have anything better to do." He shrugged. "I'm glad you're here, (Y/n). I think this place has been missing you."

What a fine young man, you thought. And just as you were being thankful for your warm welcome, you heard that call. That bird that incessantly sang to you was calling again, right next to you. It flew past a few homes until landing finally at a dry branch.
You could hear your heart beat in your ears when you spotted the man in the window just beside the tree. It was him. Akito. Here he was, looking back at you across all this distance.

You felt frozen by his gaze. He didn't react like some peeping Tom would; rushing to hide his actions. No, he was staring at you, and he wanted you to know.

Slowly, the curtains seemed to shut behind his window without him moving a muscle, and he was gone.

The chill of night was in the air now, and you hurried back inside before any other strange things could happen.

That night you cocooned yourself in the childhood blanket you'd found in storage, and went over the files again. You realized Hatsuharu was listed as being born in the year of the ox, and Hatori in the year of the dragon. When you read of their cursed transformations, though, it didn't quite add up.

And you fell asleep that first night knowing there was more to the curse than these files were going to tell you.