Prologue: In Service of the Sohmas

The ticking of the wall clock struck such surprise in you that you almost flinched. It was as if the entire time you had been here, it had been silent, and only now that you were expected to say something, it was louder than ever. You had just finished reading through the large file Hatori Sohma had slid across the table not 15 minutes before. Animals? Curse? You hesitated to look up at the doctor.

"If it doesn't seem like something you can handle then I suggest you tell me now. It's a lot easier to erase simple information over experienced memories and I'd like to move forward as soon as possible."

He spoke smoothly, as though he'd rehearsed this all before. You felt the hum of nerves in your chest but pushed them aside to speak.

"No it's.. I'm still not entirely sure what I'd be doing here, sir."

His face seemed to soften at your words and he rose from his chair after lighting a cigarette.

"Yes, well, the phone call was rather vague. I'm sure now you can understand why discretion is key. The (L/n)s have been friend to the Sohma family for generations. Until recent years. When we lost all contact completely with your parents, we discovered them--" "Yes."

You cut him off, closing the file on the desk. This subject was still raw and you felt the first prick of tears in your eyes. Hatori nodded, seeming only now to understand, and put out his barely burned cigarette in the ash tray.

"Your sister," he began, but you cleared your throat and put on an indifferent smile. "Hana won't be responding to anything you send her. She's in England. What is it you need from me?"

You were their last choice for contact. How flattering.

"Miss (L/n), I am the personal physician for this family. I am the only physician for this family. Our members seem to require more care than most and frankly.. I'm overwhelmed. Typically we would have reached out to an elder, more experienced (L/n). But you are the only one left."

Hatori came around the desk to sit against the edge in front of you. He seemed exhausted. Your family had led a great practice in life, and interning at their clinic had been your first real job. Nevermind that you hadn't even held a needle in years and had never been an official student of medicine. They wanted you now. Needed you.

"If you accept the job of my assistant I assure you finances will never be a worry. The Sohmas have taken care of your family for many years, as they've helped to take care of us. You would have to live on the grounds and be on call everyday except Sunday."

You looked out the window beside you when a singing bird called your attention and remembered a night many years ago. That same birdsong had broken through to you beyond the music and celebration. You had been here, on these grounds; you were sure of it now. Everyone seemed to stop dancing as you did, though the music still played. You saw what the bird had directed you to. A boy. Small, and solemn. Behind him stood a proud man and a tired but beautiful woman. The people around you bowed to them. Even your father, the proudest man you knew, released your hand and dropped to his knees.
You, however, did not.

Your rebellion wasn't merely a symptom of your youth. You did not understand. You were not in the habit of doing things without question. People bowed, silenced, and gave ultimate respect, yet the child did not even raise his eyes to see them. You had stood until the boy met your eyes.

You recognized the boy in your memories as one of the men in the file before you.

"However," Hatori paused, meeting your eyes with his own to ensure you were listening. "If you reject us, you will never hear from the Sohmas again."

Your memory flashed back to the vision of you ultimately bowing to the child, and the small smile he gave when you did.

Standing and extending your hand to shake, "When do I begin?"