Chapter Seven

Raman sat at the dining table as Madhavi asked Ishita to set out his dinner for him. Ishita did so reluctantly which did not go unnoticed by Raman who held her hand as she was pouring water for him.

"Ishita, please sit down. Don't do something you're uncomfortable doing. I can certainly take the food myself. Take a seat."

Raman held Ishita's hand and stood up to take out a chair for her. An embarrassed Ishita tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and downcast her eyes, feeling awkward at Raman's unabashed antics. Though, as always, he did just as he pleased.

Ishita quickly sat down, stealing glances at her mother whom appeared disappointed in her behaviour.

Ishita gestured Raman to sit down and he did so, smirking at her guilty demeanour. He rubbed her hand and quietly spoke "Don't feel guilty wifey. You'll get habitual gradually."

Madhavi diffused the tension somehow saying

"Raman, please start eating."

The rest of the dinner was spent in silence and Raman could not stop showering praises on his mother in law for the delicious delicacies she had prepared for him

"Thank you Amma. Aap ke haathon mein jaado hai. I loved the palak paneer."

(you have magic in your hands)

Madhavi smiled at Raman and he went outside the house to smoke a cigarette.

Meanwhile, Ishita took the dishes for washing as her mother followed behind, expressing dejection at her daughter's behaviour

"Ishita, you need to understand that as a wife, it is your responsibility to take care of your husband."

Ishita did not know how to tell her mother that she did not even feel like a married woman. That Raman had not made her feel loved except for the passionate lovemaking on their wedding night.

It would be even more tough to make her mother understand because to her, Raman was an ideal man who was soft spoken, respectful and gracious. In reality, he was cunning and manipulative.

Ishita was hung up in her own web of thoughts when she heard her mother's voice

"Ishita, I'm saying something to you. I expect a response."

Before Ishita could say anything to her mother, Raman came back inside and asked her to get him a cup of coffee.

She pressed onto her mother's shoulder and made an expression insinuating that she had gotten a chance at redemption. Madhu lovingly touched her daughter's head and asked her to get to task.

Ishita came into the room with the coffee and put it on the side table, calling out to Raman who was looking at his phone screen, grinning.

Ishita felt the urge to ask him but decided against it, thinking he would tell her himself, if it was anything important.

Ishita took her nightwear out of her cupboard and went to the bathroom to get dressed and when she came back, Raman had his earphones plugged in, laughing watching something on his phone.

The anger and sense of rejection which Ishita felt at that moment was something she had never felt before.

Sensing that her hurt held zilch importance for him, Ishita went to the mirror and tried to take off her manglasutra and sindoor but felt the heavy hands of Raman stopping her the very next moment

Haan Main Galatजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें