i have no interest in romance

There were always times where in I just want to go up to the sky and grasp the clouds. They always looked so soft and I have always wondered if it would feel the same touching it. I closed my eyes and felt the wind brushing against my face.

Foot steps can be heard and they were walking towards me. Before I can even open my eyes, Ling had already placed herself beside me. The rooftop was always empty during lunch time and it was one of our favorite spots to hang out. We're kind of like that overused anime plot where best friends like to isolate themselves on the rooftop of their school and somehow were never got caught.

But there's nothing wrong coming up here—except the fact that we might actually get caught and get our parents involved. The rooftop was always so peaceful. No one comes up here except us. One hour would be enough for us to chat about things and I put the credits to Ling for all the talking as I don't really have anything to talk about to her.

Ling was oddly quiet the whole time. Usually the moments she sits her butt on the floor, she immediately starts talking. I open one eye and looked at her. She was crouched, hugging her legs tightly, making her look like a ball. Her face was hidden and she almost looked like she was crying. And she was.

I proped myself up using my elbows and stared at her for a few seconds before realizing that she wasn't going to stop crying for a while. Finally, I sat up and gave her a pat on her shoulder.

"Do you think I'm cheap?" she says in between her sobs. It was almost impossible to understand the words that were coming out of her mouth now.

Maybe I saw this coming. "Why would I think that?"

She chuckles and wipes her tears. "I'm glad you dont think pf me like that," she sniffs.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "It's the senior, isn't it?" I sighed, "I told you they were trouble!"

I sounded like a mother but I really can't let her date one of those boys again. It feels like she's in a cycle. She dates and then the guy just ends up hurting her in some way or another. Honestly, it hurts to see a friend crying because of some inconsiderate jerk.

Friend.

She shows a small smile and leans her head on my shoulder. "Pretty brave of you to tell me that. Aren't you a senior yourself?"

"Yes, but compared to them I'm on the good side!"

"Backstabber." she scoots closer to me again, until she was snuggling her face on my neck. I threw an arm around her shoulders and kept her close.

I can feel my face starting to heat up and my breathing started to get heavy. I tried to act chill, as if my heart didn't felt like it was going to explode. Yeah, chill.

"Keran," she whispered, her hot breath now dancing on my neck. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

I heaved a heavy air and let it out my nostrils. My lips are trembling and if I ever open my mouth to say anything, most probably I will mess it up. "Hmm. No, why did you ask?"

"You never dated anyone before, right?"

"Yes."

She pauses for a moment before humming. "Why not? Don't you think having a boyfriend is nice? Like going on dates and holding hands—all of that cute stuff."

"What are you talking about?"

"You know, romance?"

"It sounds very promising but no, I am not imterested in romance. Not even a tiny bit."

"Yeah right. Tell that to me when you get over reading phone novels."

In an instant, my face heat up and my heart beat faster than it was already. I accidentally pushed her off me by instinct. She did nothing but laugh.

Of course, phone novels seem kind of lame but I think if you just search very thoroughly, you will find good ones. The gems of them all. They were so well written, it almost felt like it was a real novel from some best-selling author.

I huffed, "So what if I like phone romance novels?!"

"It's weird, even though your life is nowhere near romantic."

"I don't think I'm interested in that romance thing. I like reading them but, I would probably be alone when I grow up."

April 17, 2013

Dear diary,
I will be graduating high school in less than a month. That means I'll leave Ling all alone in that school again. I wish nothing bad will happen to her when I'm in college.

Ling asked me:
"Why don't you have a boyfriend?"
I told her that I will be alone forever.
And I kind of regret that.
Seeing her laugh because of me and my strange fascination with phone novels,
When I saw her like that,
Maybe I changed my mind about being alone forever.

---
This is unedited hahahaha so, sorry if I made a lot of mistakes :((((