Chapter 12

"Sophie. Sophie. Sophie," James chants.

"Yes?" I ask.

"We should talk about transfiguration," he says in his big brother voice. Everyone else had gone to the Black Lake so we were free to drop the act.

"Sure! How do you feel, knowing that Lily is your soulmate?" I ask, avoiding the topic he wanted to talk about. James gives me a look.

"I'm ecstatic. But you know that's not what I meant," James says. I tilt my head and play dumb.

"Then what did you want to talk about?" I ask. James shoves my shoulder lightly.

"You and my best mate," James says bluntly. Yeah, no. We aren't talking about this. Nu-uh. Not happening. Make me.

"What about me and Remus?" I ask. This dumb thing is pretty easy. I can see why so many people do it. Ha. I'm funny.

"The other one," James says, growing frustrated.

"Peter? I haven't talked to him in weeks," I tell him.

"Sirius! I'm talking about Sirius!" James exclaims. Yep. There it is. I've taken to avoiding him. For this exact reason. Well, I figured I would be having this conversation with Sirius but I should have expected my brother to say something.

"What about him?" I ask quietly.

"Soph, he's basically your soulmate," James says gently. I study my shoes.

"I know. What do I do Jamie?" I ask. James looks a me with confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"I know Sirius. I know his reputation. I don't want to be hurt," I say. I must say, I feel pretty pathetic at the moment.

"Oh, Sophie. He wouldn't hurt you. And if he did he'll have half the school out to kill him," James tells me. I laugh a bit and lay my head on his shoulder.

"I love you," I whisper.

"I love you too Soph," James says. I sigh. Should I talk to Sirius? Would he even want to talk to me? I'll just focus on getting James and Lily together. If Sirius wants to talk to me, he has to initiate the conversation.