~5~

"Hinata, you dumbass! Jump higher!"

"Oh yeah? I could've spiked it if your toss was right."

"You two over there. Keep your mouth shu--"

"Calm down now, Daichi. Just let the kids argue. It'll help them grow."

"Oh, is that so?"

The practice session is again interrupted by another break, the time when the players can recuperate their exhausted energy. Kei grabbed a towel from his bag and wiped the beads of sweat trickling down his forehead. He averted his eyes from the quarreling pair, thinking that their usual argument is only going to mentally exhaust him. Then his eyes landed on the garden outside. The way the lukewarm breeze swayed and played with the trees' leaves was captivating him, calling him. Kei's long strides took him forward and finally under the giant tree who is kind enough to lend him its shade.

Kei plopped down the public seat. He exhaustedly scrunched his eyes shut, massaging his aching muscles before softening his expression. The soreness that had seeped until the bone made him feel uncomfortable. It was not because of the pain itself but because of the idea of working himself more than his usual load capacity.

Why am I even trying this hard? As Kei thought of that question, a certain face resurfaced in his mind, causing him to abruptly throw his eyes open.

What the hell was that? Kei forced Kuroo's face into oblivion but the more he tried, the more adamant the image stayed in his mind.

The chattering noises from a distance distracted Kei. He turned his head to the bunch of people leaving the building. Among them stood out that black rooster head. Just the sight made Kei grit his teeth and just when he was about to look away, their gazes met. Kei casually averted his eyes.

Shit. Don't approach me. Don't come near. Don't talk to me.

"Yo, Kei."

Kei let out a loud grunt, coldly rejecting Kuroo's approach. The captain ambled closer and then pointing at the vacant seat beside Kei, he asked. "Can I sit beside you?"

"Will you sit somewhere else if I say no?"

Kuroo repaid Kei's dangerous glare with a happy eye smile as he retired beside the boy.

"Want some?" Kuroo offered Kei a bottle of cold drink. Quickly declining the offer, Kei scooted a little further.

"Are you avoiding me?"

Kei shot Kuroo a strong, incredulous look. "Why would I be avoiding you?"

"How would I know? That's why I asked." Kuroo shrugged his shoulders, a tiny smile creeping on his lips as he takes a sip from his bottle.

This guy is clearly playing games on me.

"I'm going back." Kei said as he stood up and started striding back, following the path he took earlier.

"Oi, Tsukishima." Bokuto called out to Kei, making him halt from his track.

"Yes?"

"Play a set with me, please?" Bokuto asked, his tone pleading and his eyes sweetly twinkling while looking at Kei.

Kei scowled at the guy but quickly whisked off the harsh expression. "I'm sorry but I'm still on my break. Besides, I'm not interested in one-on-one."