"We are only sharing information—nothing else," I say without looking at him. "Don't think that because I'm not screaming my head off, we're anything beyond strangers. Now, get out of my room. I don't like talking to strangers while I'm in my underwear." I need some serious space between us.

He stands there another moment and then walks out of the room. Great. He didn't close the door. I swing my feet onto the floor and let go of the sheet. I take the three steps to the door as Adam appears in the opening. He's so close we're almost touching.

"I forgot to close the door," he says with a wicked gleam in his eyes. He scans my body slowly from bottom to top with a look that says he is removing what little I have on in his mind. I'm standing there turning all shades of red before I push him out the door so I can close and lock it.

***

I come out of my room a few minutes later wearing loose sweat pants, a t-shirt, and fuzzy slippers. My hair is piled on top of my head in a high ponytail. Sloppy and casual is me. Adam the vampire is standing at the patio doors, looking out into the night.

There is a vampire standing in my living room.

A nervous chill runs through my body. "You said the pain is replaced with something more desirable. What did you mean?" I ask as I put food in Wilbur's dish.

When I'm done, I grab a pillow from the couch and sit down cross-legged, hugging it to me.

But when I look at him, his eyes are smoldering again, and I'm wondering what changed. In the time it takes me to blink he is sitting next to me on the couch. I jump and squeak simultaneously.

"Should I show you? I've been told that the feeling is so pleasurable that humans can become addicted." He says this while his arm is behind me on the back of the couch, our thighs are touching, and he is leaning into my space again.

An uncontrolled shiver goes through my body, and my stomach does a flip. Before I can blink, his other hand is high on my thigh, and his lips are on my neck. Oh my...!

My hands are somehow on his chest, the only barrier between us.

"Adam, stop!" I tried to put some conviction behind the command, even though I'm not feeling it.

With the sensations I'm feeling I know what my body wants. I'm frightened, but also curious as hell. Thankfully, I'm more frightened than stupid right now.

I feel him breathing heavily against my neck. He's stopped his progression, but not before he licks my neck right below my ear. I'm a tsunami of feelings now, and none of them are healthy or safe under the circumstances.

"Maybe another time," he says, regaining some of his composure and easing back from me. His eyes haven't gone back to their normal brilliance, but he appears to relax some.

I can feel the energy humming through his body like a physical presence, so I scoot down the couch and give us both space.

"I won't bite you until you ask me to." The look on his face says "it's only a matter of time."

My look says, "Not this girl."

"That will never happen, so let's get that notion off the table and out of your mind," I say, attempting to look smug and confidant.

"We still need to discuss the matter of your safety. I chose to tell you what I am because you are in danger," he says with a serious look that replaces the bedroom eyes from before.

Oh, thank heavens.

"Why does he want to kill me if he knows you're hunting him?" I ask, getting back to business. "Why doesn't he run away?"