-M-

The autumn is coming while the village was festively panicked. Many people hurriedly ran around the streets with the smile around their faces as I saw them through our tinted window. It was such a festive atmosphere.

It was the time of the year. The royal family would be visiting our insignificant village for a short vacation. Everyone was happy.

I can't keep myself from imagining that I would be meeting him again. My best friend, I'm so excited! Wait, I think I should prepare something for him! Yes!

I hurriedly come downstairs to pick my slippers to go to auntie's grocery shop. When I was nearly at the door, I was shocked. I saw him just in front of our yard. Waving and smiling at me. Before I realize it, he was already in front of me. "Hey Jay, you okay? Or should I call Mr. skinny legs?" he asks me jokingly and smiling showing his perfect teeth.

"Yes, yes! Ranz- I mean, Your Highness, I'm fine" I hurriedly bow in front of him.

"Well, you look comfy, so where are you going?" he sizes me up like he was wondering where I am going with thin clothes.

"Well, I plan to go to Auntie's grocery shop and buy you some food to cook, " he was looking at me straight in the eyes while I was trying not to look straight back.

"Let me come with you, " he held my hand and pulled me by his side. I looked around and noticed that all his belongings are around the yard. I was about to ask him questions, but he cut me off by ordering his guards to take care of his stuff. "Can we go now, Jay? The guards have gone." Ranz said.

"Okay, Prince Ranz," I answered as I rolled my eyes.

"This I already told you not to call me Prince and treat me as your friend. Here's your punishment," he picks me up and carries me like a sack. I was trying to struggle, but he laughs it off.

It was 3 p.m. when we were resting under a tree in the forest. I held a book in my hand while Ranz was resting on my lap.

I read the story slowly and clearly as he was listening silently. However, Ranz breaks the silence. "Jay, I want to stay here as I just love the people, the scenery, the atmosphere, and even you, " he held my other hand and put it in his chest.

"Why can't we stay like this forever? I'm so tired of being a prince, " he covered his eyes with his arms, hiding away his tears.

"Silly, the people need you, my Prince. You need to fulfill your duty, even if I want to stay like this too forever."

We are best friends, but our actions say otherwise. The others don't mind. It even came to the point that the Queen and King recognize our "friendship," and they were okay with it.

Four days had passed, and I heard my dad and grandfather talking in the living room. My grandfather was requesting my father to stop me from having an intimate relationship with Ranz because Ranz will inherit the throne.

"But, Father, you know how close they were, and I thought you are also okay with it?" my father questioned.

"That is also my thoughts. Until I heard the elders planning for Prince Ranz's future, they told me that the kingdom doesn't want the successor to have a weakness" I didn't know when it starts, but I was shaking.

I hurriedly walk away. But I was too preoccupied that I accidentally hit a vase. It loudly crashed against the floor.

I heard my father and grandfather's footsteps at my back. My father hurriedly shouted my name as I ran away.

I was in the forest, staring out of nowhere under the tree where Ranz and I always rest.

I was asking myself many things. I was so full of doubt, blaming myself for the trouble I did.

"How did it come to this?" tears slowly filled up my eyes as I look upon the clouds.

The sky was so dark and gloomy as if it's resonating with my feelings. I laugh. I was so cooped-up with my thoughts. I didn't notice it already started to rain.

I felt so cold and lonely as I hug myself alone in the forest. I'm quite thankful that I'm under the tree sheltering me from the rain while I can't handle the pain.

A day went by as I was locking myself up. I was busy trying to organize my thoughts and calm my emotions.

It was only that afternoon when I realized that it was the Royal Family's last day in the village.

I want to meet Ranz.

I've already made up my mind.

I need to tell him something.

I ran as fast as I could find Ranz. I ask all around the town if they have seen him. I even ask at their manor.

The guards said that Ranz was outside. Some even said his Highness was looking for me. I shrug it off, thinking it was not that serious.

I walked around aimlessly until I reached the forest and saw a familiar silhouette under a tree. I know it was Ranz from a glance, I was about to hug his back, but I stopped myself as I hear him talk.

"It was our last day meeting one another this year. I think it would take a long time before I come back... " his voice was so weak, and sometimes it cracked, almost breaking apart.

"I know you already knew that I would be ascending the throne. I asked your grandfather, but he almost didn't tell me why you've come to seclusion. Until I use my status, ordering him to tell me the truth," Ranz continues. I can't even control my emotions as I hug him back tightly, feeling afraid to lose him.

"Jay, just wait for me please," he slowly touches my arm and gently pats my hand while whispering 'wait for me' again and again.

"Yes, yes, I'll wait for you, " I answered as I try to keep myself up.

"Jay, if you happen to like someone else while I'm gone, it's okay for me, " he said with his voice containing full of sadness and a tint of hopelessness.

"No, no, no," I buried my face on his back, hoping I can at least share my thoughts.

He lightly pats my hand, telling me to release him from my grasp, but I only hold him tighter.

"Listen to me, Jay!" he loudly raised his voice, and I know he couldn't control his emotions anymore. I let go of him as he turned around and hugs me.

"Promise you'll wait for me here under this tree, as I settle everything at the palace. You'll wait for me here Until the Last Leaf Fall."

-W-

The leaves are rustling.

The Branches are swinging.

The forest Is full of color and harmony,

As I wait for your return, my Prince charming,

Until the Last Leaf Fall

-A poem was written by Jay for his beloved

- End -