Act 2 - Chapter 8

Note: For the sake of clarity, whenever a character is in their transformed state, their name will be given in italics.

For example:

Helga G. Pataki = Helga

Sailor Moon = Helga

Abner squealed anxiously as he made his way home. Normally, the rotund pig was the leader of a motley crew of pets that filtered out into the streets whenever a tenant of Sunset Arms passed through the front door, but this time, due to the violent winds outside, the domesticated animals were all making a hasty retreat to the safe confines of four sturdy walls.

Meanwhile, the boarders decided to ride out the storm in the safety of the cellar (more specifically, inside Grandpa's cozy furnished secret bathroom).

"Do you think the storm has passed yet?" asked Mr. Kokoshka.

"How should I know?" snapped Ernie. "Why don't you go upstairs and check?"

"No, it's too dangerous – Suzie, why don't you check it out?"

"Oskar, you are stepping on my foot!" said an angry Mr. Hynnh. "I do not like it!"

"Ow!" yelled Ernie. "And will you get your elbow outta my nose, Hynnh! Sheesh, this isn't like the first tornado drill we've had!"

"We have been getting an awful lot of bad weather lately..." mused Suzie Kokoshka.

"Should someone go up and get Grandpa?" asked Oskar.

"He won't budge," said Ernie. "The old bird neither. It's like they just stopped caring...since Arnold went missing."

The mood became momentarily somber in that cramped bathroom as they thought of Arnold's grandparents shunning the storm, diligently sitting in the kitchen, looking out the window in hopes that they would see their grandson return.

---

It had been 2 months since Arnold's disappearance. For a while a dark cloud of sadness hung over Hillwood, especially over those who knew him well – his teachers, his peers, his grandparents and extended family, but most of all, Helga.

Helga had not left the house since the day of the incident, and had fallen into a deep depression. Most days she just laid in her room, in the dark, barely moving. She didn't go to school, and she didn't talk to the other girls. For the longest time, she just stopped existing, refusing to move on. Because, deep within her heart and soul, she felt that her involvement as a sailor senshi made her responsible.

As a direct result, without the guidance of their leader, the sailor scouts had also ceased to function. For them, life did go on, but very tentatively, and with a lingering sense of foreboding, for they knew in their hearts that their mission was not yet complete, yet they had no idea what their next move was.

The only good news to come the girls' way was that Lila's father had finally found a stable job. The erratic night shift hours meant he would seldom be home, which left Lila to fend for herself on most days.

"I have to get going," said Lila's father, as he put on his coat and headed for the door. "I'll see you later, okay honey?"

"Okay, daddy – I love you!" said Lila.

Later that night, Lila was awoken by the sound of noises coming from outside her room. The phone was in the kitchen, so she would have to take her chances that she wouldn't run into the alleged intruder.

Lila tiptoed down the hallway, a flashlight brandished in her hand. Suddenly, she felt herself bump into something. Instinctively, she turned the flashlight on and pointed it at the stranger, who was caught by surprise and tripped over a rug, bumping his head on a coffee table.