one.

chapter one;
the advert

IT WAS THE HUNDREDTH AND SECOND ADVERT SHE'D SCROLLED DOWN

IT WAS THE HUNDREDTH AND SECOND ADVERT SHE'D SCROLLED DOWN. She was actually almost falling asleep tucked up on the pull out sofa of her best friends flat. She had a pile of newspapers to her right and 3 empty coffee mugs to her left and in front of her, the battered laptop that had somehow managed to survive her college years. She'd studied Art History, an almost useless subject, and had moved to London to study it from her home of New York City. Now she was back, her degree secured- but little else.

She sits up a little as she reads;

Looking for one person to move into a quaint, clean and well looked after flat. I'm a guy, but I don't mind whether you're male or female!
Your room will be the smallest of the two, but even then, there's very little difference. The living area is barely used, but there is a couch, a coffee table and a pretty old, but still working TV. The kitchen is small, but functional, all machines (including a coffee machine!!!) are fully working and clean. There is a laundry facility in the basement of the building (its a little creepy at night, so I recommend day time washing). The bathroom is also small, and obviously we'll have to share, but as long as we both keep it clean, we'll be fine!

I'm a young guy, just trying to find someone to be my flatmate because I can't afford this place on my own, and my current flatmate leaves for L.A (snob) at the end of the week. Please make sure you can afford the rent & bills before enquiring.

You can come view the place, but its not essential!

Thanks, Timmy

Billie sat back, pushing her tortoise shell glasses up her nose, trying to ignore the faint moans coming from her friends bedroom. Her two best friends lived in the apartment, they had become a couple about 2 years ago after they couldn't hide their feelings any longer. Now, forced to sleep on their couch, she wished she was anywhere but. The over affection made her want to vomit anyway, but hearing them having sex in the room to her left was pushing her to the edge.

She scrolls down and clicks to respond immediately to the Timmy who wrote the advert. She types out a simple and quick message to say that she'd be super interested in taking the second room in his flat and that she didn't need to come see it, she needed somewhere immediately. She'd been living in Rochelle and Emma's apartment for a week and was at the end of her tether. They'd said she could stay for as long as she needed, but could tell they weren't too happy to have a constant third wheel past day 3. Sharing their very small, one bed flat between 3 people was not ideal. 

Billie is about to close her laptop when a notification comes through, she blinks, its a reply from Timmy. She opens it and reads quickly. He invites her to move in right away, gives the address and explains that he'll be there the following day if she's available to move in. She lets out a almost silent breath of relief. She'd finally have a place to call her own...well...almost her own. She types a fast reply to Timmy, telling him she'll be moving in tomorrow, before turning off her laptop and snuggling down under the fleece blanket she'd been supplied with. It doesn't take long for her to drift into a dream state having known she would have a place to live from tomorrow. 

She awoke the next morning to the sound of arguing. She glances over towards the kitchenette, where Emma and Rochelle were discussing something in an angry tone. 

"Morning!" Emma says suddenly, her voice changing rapidly having noticed that Billie had awoken. 

"Morning," Billie mumbles, stretching her arms above her head and offering a soft smile. 

"How was your sleep?" Emma asks, walking over to join Billie on the pull out couch, holding a freshly poured cup of coffee. 

"It was okay...Actually, I have some news," Billie says, glancing at the time on her phone, "I've found a flat to live,"  

"What?!" Rochelle calls from the kitchen, she was currently knelt down, searching for something at the back of a cupboard. 

"Yeah, late last night I was just scrolling down some adverts and found a flat share with one other person, his name is Timmy and he needs someone to move in right away, so I messaged back and said yeah sure, I'll be there tomorrow!" Billie smiles and Rochelle stands up, looking over with narrowed eyes. 

"Sharing a flat with a boy you've never met? You've only spoken to him over the internet Bill! He could be a psycho!" Rochelle says, shaking her head, "Are you completely insane?" 

"Well, if she is, and he's a psycho, they'll get on like a house on fire," Emma laughs, Billie chuckles in response and Rochelle rolls her eyes, but can't hide the small smile on her face. 

"You might not even get along! What if he's like...Awful? Messy? Loud? What if he's a complete prick?" Rochelle asks. 

"Its just a flat share, Rochelle...And I already said I'll move in. If its really that bad, I'll just move out," Billie shrugs, "C'mon I lived in that dingy flat in London for 3 years, I'm sure I can handle this!" 

"What will Zac have to say about it?" Emma asks. The mention of Billie's boyfriend, who'd been her boyfriend since 9th grade. They'd managed a long distance relationship when Billie moved to London, though it did come with its hardships. He was currently a medical student here in New York City, and was living in a house with a bunch of other medical students- hence why he and Billie hadn't just gotten their own flat. 

"I don't know...But I think he'll be happy that I'm local to him, and to you guys, and I don't think he'll be bothered that I'm sharing with another boy...I mean, he lives with girls in his house now," Billie shrugs, and Rochelle and Emma share a concerned glance. 

"I'd just be careful...Do you need any help moving? Shall we come anyway? In case he's a murderer?" Rochelle asks. 

"You're going to come either way, aren't you?" Billie asks, a smile on her face. 

Rochelle grins back, nodding her head, "Duh!" 

_________________________

We love a little intro chapter!!! 

I'm so excited for this book honestly, and I can't wait for you to meet Zac 

and also the character that'll be Timothee's girlfriend- Catherine! 

Thank you for reading & I hope you enjoyed!!!

~bobbybasic <3