Beall-Dawson House

Time era: 18-1900s
Location: Rockville, Maryland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Beall-Dawson house was built in the early 1800s by Upton Beall, the then Clerk of the Court in Montgomery. At the time, it was the largest house in the area. It was built specifically to show off Beall's wealth and he lived in it along with his wife and three daughters. After Beall's death, his daughters lived their for the rest of their lives.

After that, the house was owned by the Dawson family and then the Davis family. The Davises restored the house in the 1940s. In the '60s, it was sold to the City of Rockville and transformed into the Montgomery County Historical Society Headquarters. As of now, the old house still contains most of the original architecture.

The most-seen ghost of the house is the "ghost brick layer", an African-American man who is seen laying bricks in the kitchen entryway. The man doesn't speak when addressed, and one blink later, he is gone. People guess he is the apparition of one of the slaves owned by the Bealls in the 1800s. Others say he is Nathan Briggs, a man who lived in the 1940s renovating the house and later committed suicide.

People have also heard voices in the house, one in particular calling for a "Priscilla," the name of one of the Dawson daughters who died in 1922.