Traveling Soldier

Start from the beginning

Was.

Tyler shuddered at those words. Did she mean 'was' as in he's not anymore or 'was' as in he's dead?

Tyler stayed silent for a while as he thought. The girl was about to walk away when Tyler spoke up, "Hey, do you mind sitting down and talking to me?" He then shifted in his spot as he glanced out the window again. He continued quieter, "I'm feeling a little low."

"So he said would you mind sittin' down for a while
And talking to me, I'm feeling a little low"

The girl let out a sigh as a smile crept to her face. She put her notebook into her apron as she leaned one of her hands on his table. "I'm off in an hour, and I know where we can go."

"She said I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go"

He looked up at the waitress, a small smile forming on his face. "I'm Tyler."

"Y/n." She smiled. "Now, you stay here and I'll finish up." Tyler nodded.

ಠ_ಠ

After her shift was over y/n and Tyler walked across the street to the pier, setting themselves down on a bench.

"So they went down and they sat on the pier"

After talking for a while, they finally fell into a comfortable silence as they looked out at the pier. It was close to 6:00 now, so the sun was setting.

"When do you leave?" Y/n suddenly began another conversation.

Tyler held up his watch. "Thirty minutes." He sighed, fiddling with his thumbs again.

"This is probably a stupid question, but are you nervous?" Y/n inquired, looking over to the anxious boy staring at his lap.

He didn't answer, and y/n could practically see the gears turning in his head. He suddenly lifted his head meeting eyes with the girl. "Listen, I bet you have a boyfriend, but I don't care. I have no one to send a letter to." He shrugged as he braced himself for her answer. "But do you mind if I send one back here to you?" He lifted his eyebrows, and y/n smiled, nodding her head.

"He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't care
I got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you"

"I was hoping you'd ask." She giggled, pulling out a piece of paper and a pen from her purse. Being a waitress always required a notepad and a pen, and sometimes she'd replace hers so she got in the habit of carrying one in her purse. "This is my address..." she wrote it down. "And... phone number." She pointed with the tip of her pen to the ten digits.

Tyler smiled sweetly as he took the piece of paper and stared at it. "Well, if I get ahold of a phone I'll call you." He chuckled.

"And I do not have a boyfriend." Y/n clarified, and it made Tyler's heart flutter. There's no way he'll be able to keep her out of his mind.

_

"I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin' for the love of a travelin' soldier
Our love will never end
Waitin' for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter says
A soldier's coming home"