Chapter 4

'Don't panic! Don't panic!' I screamed to myself in my head. Luar was singing along to the radio while my phone charged since she didn't bother to tell me it was going dead. 'Deep breaths Zackary. Deep breaths.' I took deep calming breathes as I pulled up to Mom's house. I quickly spotted the oldest of my siblings. My sister Neko. She was first born and had a snow-white pelt with a grey underbelly.

Next was Marco. He had a dark grey pelt with black markings on his back and sides. The second youngest, right above me, was Zita. She was the most like Mom. She had a grey pelt with white along her face, neck, legs, and arms. 'Wow. I haven't seen them in forever, but they are just as I remember. I expect Neko to start yelling at Marco for something soon.' I laughed to myself.

"Are those your bwothers and sisters?" Luar asked looking out the window ready to get out. "Yes, they are. I want you to stay in the care ok. Just for a little bit till I'm done talking to my mom ok?" I gently caressed her cheek and lifted her head so I could look into her eyes. With a smile, she nodded and went back to listening to music. 'I thought kids were supposed to complain about everything. That's what I did.' I questioned as I watch Luar grab a pen, a notebook and started to draw.

I hopped out of the car and walked up to my sister Neko. I covered her mouth just in time before she could scream my name. Her tail swayed in pure joy as she saw me. "Good to see you too, but I need you to do something for me. I don't anyone to know I'm here. Tell Marco and Zita to take everything back into the house and start unpacking, " I kept my hand over her maw knowing she is loud as all hell.

Moving my hand and spitting out fur she raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. "Why? Mom is getting kicked out she can't stay any longer, " she whispered. "I know. Just trust me on this one. Please, it will be fine, " I insured. Neko and I always had a special bond. She understood me when no one else did. It was that kind of bond only the youngest and the oldest sibling had.

With a swift nod, she told Zita and Marco to unload the boxes and unbox everything. They didn't dare go against her. Neko was a Sargent in the army but she was discharged on the case of being incapable to work. She was climbing a cliff with some soldiers when one of the recruits slipped and started to fall. She was dedicated to protecting the recruits, so she caught him helping him catch on the mountain with nothing more than some scraps. Neko, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky.

Stopping a 150-pound recruit caused her to start tumbling down the mountain. They weren't too far up so she tucked her head and took the fall. When she reached the bottom where a couple of generals waited for them to come back down, she was missing a few patches of fur and was bruised up. Worse of all her left foot was broken in three different places. The infirmary told her since the bones were in place she just needed a cast. One of the broken pieces shift during her time in the cast, so her foot didn't heal correctly.

It left her with a pretty bad limp. She never let it hold her back, but the army discharged her. She made a living for herself in Clawson making and selling clothes. Besides her injury, she was perfectly happy here. When my littermates started unpacking stuff in the house I heard Mom ask why they were unpacking everything. 'Now.' I walked in the house slowly with my tail low and ears back. "They are unpacking because I told Neko to tell them to, " I was quiet. The woman I had been avoiding for 2 years, perked her ears and looked at me with love, relief, and anger.

"Zackary? Why would you do that?" she walked up to me so she was just a couple inches away. "I wanted to make it up to you. I've made a living for myself. Paid off all my tickets. Finished school. I'm a mechanic for the military. Making good money. I talked to Marco and he told me you were losing the house, so I thought I could pay it off for you. As an apology for what I did, " I answered. Without a word of warning, she slapped the hell out of me. I could feel my teeth shift.

All of my siblings' ears perked and look from me to my mom. I simply clicked tongue and nodded. "I deserved that, " I admitted. 'Damn! I knew Mom was hard hitter but shit!' I complained in my head. "That's for two years ago, " Mom growled then in a blink of an eye. She hugged me. Pulling me closer than ever before. I wrapped my arms around her as I started tearing up. 'Her scent. I missed her scent. Her warm sweet scent floats off her fur. I missed it so much. It's so calming.' I thought to myself burying my nose into her fur.

"Thank you for saving my house, Zackary. I'm so happy you are alive and well, " she cooed. "Anything for you Momma, " I smiled suddenly remembering Luar. "Ok, everyone. I have someone for all of you to meet, but you have to promise not to hurt or judge her. She's different, " I explained. "Zack has a girlfriend!" Zita teased laughing. "No, she isn't my girlfriend Zita, " I snapped.

I walked outside and jogged to my car. "Can I meet them now Zackawy?" She squeaked jumping in the seat. 'Such a ball of energy.' I commented to myself as I opened her door. "Yes, little one. Grab on to my tail and don't let go till I say, " I instructed turning around. Luar did as told and she grabbed onto my tail with gentle little hands. 'Ok, Zack you went over this 100 times in your head. You got this.' I thought as I kept Laur hidden behind my back. When I walked back int the house, everyone looked at and around me.

"Everyone I would like to introduce you to Luar, " I snapped and she hopped off my tail and stood in front of me with shy eyes and a soft smile. "I saved her two days ago from a feral mountain lion attack. Her parents were killed by a bear while they were hunting, " I introduced running my hands over her shoulders. "Hi, " Luar whispered as she shyly waved. Everyone was in pure shock to see a human child. Zita nearly fainted and Mom's eyes were as big as boulders. "She's a human. A child to add that, " Zita exclaimed. "Yes, she is. She hasn't caused any trouble. She's the sweetest little girl you could ever meet, " I defended picking her up and holding her. Luar smiled and poked my nose. "No! You are the sweetest, " she giggled. "See what I mean, " I grinned and poked her tiny nose. 'Please. Accept her. Please. You four are the only ones I trust won't hurt her. Just don't look down on her.' I pleaded in my head. Then I saw a spark in Neko's eyes. One only a mother could have. I had someone I could trust on my side.