Chapter 1

(I'm gonna be trying out a new format tell if you like it or Nah)

My name is Zackary, and in this story, I will tell you how I met the love of my life. Also known as the last human ever. Join me as I tell you my story.

-14 years ago-

It was a summer day. June the 4th. I was taking a hike in the mountain forest. I haven't had a good hike in years so the mountainside forest was the best spot. Being very athletic, it was easy for me to jump the boulders and fallen trees with ease. "This is by far the best hiking spot, but let's go off-trail," I looked around making sure no one was around heading into the forest its self.

"Peaceful," I sighed before continuing my hike enjoying the beauty of nature. I loved being in nature. It reminded me of my roots. Where I came from. Where I started. Being caught in my thoughts, I didn't notice the small droplets of blood on the grass. A scream louder then thunder rang through the forest. "What the fuck was that?" I was caught off guard.

Taking off into the forest, I followed the sent of the screams. It was wasn't long before I stumbled upon a feral mountain lion trying to get into and log. Again the screams and cries rang out from the inside. 'Female. Fairly young. At least 5 years old from the pitch.' I thought for a second. What the hell was I gonna do? No way a fox-like me could run off a mountain lion. Especially if it's feral. I had to try. If I didn't I'll kill her.

Without a second more of hesitation, I dropped my bag and tackled the lion. I was careful not to let it get any hits in. One good hit from a feral lion could kill me. I saw something move from the corner of my eye. I turned my head to see bright, shining, ocean blue eyes. The color drained from fur and skin as I looked at who they belonged to. A dirty blonde haired human. 'A HUMAN?!?!' I screamed in my head.

I made eye contact with the small human girl. Having let my guard down, the feline took it's chance and ranked its claws across my tricep. I yelped in pain and kicked the cat into a tree. It slammed its side against a giant sycamore. Luckily for me, it gave up and ran off. I panted as I got up and grabbed my bleeding arm.

I couldn't get the blue eyes of the child out of my head. 'I can't believe humans are still alive.' I thought to myself. Rummaging through my pack I heard a small shuffle behind me. I froze I turned slightly and saw the girl she was wearing tribal-like clothes. I didn't honestly know what to do. I couldn't kill her she was still young. I didn't know if there was someone to call for this type of thing.

I was too caught up in what to do I didn't take notice of her coming closer. She had something in her tiny hands. "What do you have there?" I asked trying to sound as nice as possible. She looked like she knew how to speak. Hell, I could be wrong. Without a single word she lifted up the bandages, I was looking for.

"Why did you have these, " I wondered taking the bandages from her and started to wrap my arm. I never realized how tiny humans were compared to furries. The shortest furry ever to exist was 5'9. The shortest furries usually get is around 6 feet. I was 8'6. The girl looked around 4'5. She pointed to a part of her leg that was wrapped sloppily.

She made claws with her fingers and made what looked like a snarl with her mouth and growled. She pointed in the direction the long-gone mountain lion took off in. "Oh, the lion hurt your leg," I answered. Her smile was bright as she nodded to me. "Can you speak sweetheart," I questioned finding myself getting lost in her eyes. "Yes, I'm just really shy around new people.

You seem nice though," she replied. Her voice was that of an angel. Why was she alone though? When I opened my mouth to ask she put her small furless hand on my muzzle stopping me. I raised an eyebrow not knowing what to think. "I know you are gonna ask why I'm alone," she took her hand away from my mouth.

Her smile faded and she looked away. "They are dead. Great bear got them while hunting," her voice shook as her eyes swelled with tears. "How long?" I couldn't resist asking. It was easy to see tiny fragile ribs. "7 days. 6 nights," she played with a patch of grass with her oddly shaped foot. After a long conversation with the human girl, I found out she was 5 years old. She didn't have a name her parents usually called her baby or sunshine.

The sun was starting to go down. I couldn't leave her outside in the cold. I caught the scent of rain on the wind. 'I don't have a choice do I?' I asked I my head clearly knowing the answer. "Climb onto my back little one. I'll take you home with me. I'll keep you safe," I told her. Without the slightest of hesitation, she climbed onto my back gripping my fur with intense strength for such a small child.

After she was secure I headed back to the trail and back to scarlet red Suzuki GSXR 600. I loved motorcycles. I had two. When I got on I put the girl in front of me. I started up the bike and drove the next 2 hours back to my hometown. When I got to my house, I parked in the garage and went inside.

"Ok sweetheart how about some food," I asked walking to the kitchen tossing my keys on the table and my hiking bag by the couch. I lived in a good-sized two bedroom one bathroom with a basement I used as a home gym. "Yay! I'm so hungry!" she cheered. Without another word, I started cooking rabbit stew.

I was a very curious fox and wanted to try everything. I was pretty good at somethings. Cooking, sewing, singing, hiking, playing guitar, and decor were the only things I had mastered. Everything else not so much. "While I cook how about you take a bath," I walked to the bathroom and ran warm bath water with bubbles for the 5-year-old.

She didn't complain. I put on some music for her and left leaving the door ajar so if she needed me I could hear her. "Let's do some research," I mumbled to myself searching the internet for all the information I could get on humans. Especially female humans. Some of the stuff I read didn't make sense, but I tried my best to understand.

'Humans are more complex the girls in heat.' I silently complained my head resting in my paw. "Zackawy!" I heard from down the hall. With a small groan, I got up and walked to the bathroom. "Yes?" I asked poking my head inside. "I'm ready to get out now," her hair was full of bubbles. It was pretty cute. It didn't take long for me to dry her off and wrap her in a towel while I checked on the food and washed her clothes.

After about 30 minutes, I made myself and the girl a bowl. She didn't speak the entire time. The only words that would come out of her mouth were "More please." Three bowls later she was full and tired. "Come little one. Let's hit the hay," I picked her up as she reached up to me. "Zackawy?" she whispered. "Yes, little one?" I looked down at her as I tucked her into one side of my bed then got into the other side. "Since you are taking care of me now, will you name me?" the small pools she had for eyes burrowed deep into my soul.

"I guess I can," I said without thinking. "What would you like to be called." "Well, my mother used to look into the sky at night and say that the moonlight makes everything more beautiful. So I want to be called something that has to do with the moon," she played with fur on my chest. "Then your name will be Luar. It's British for moonlight," I yawned.

"Luar," she repeated. "I like it." She cuddled close to me as we both fell asleep. I had no idea what I was starting. I knew one thing. I wasn't gonna let anyone hurt this little girl. Luar.

That's the end of the first chapter of The last. Tell me if you guys like the new format. Sorry, it took so long to publish the first chapter. Anyways let me know what you think. Shoutouts are Alpha273, TylerKenner, Tigerarchivist86, UltraCarnageGaming