04 : Veinas

It's been three days since we went to the border.

The Huntres were back to their usual business—training their bodies, improving their abilities with respect to their attributes, and monitoring the Flame Spectre's movements.

Leo, who was a weapon provider for the rebellion force, chose to live quietly but he promised he would still lend a hand if needed.

"No, Sir Isaz," he said while looking at the child who fell asleep after crying. "I'm sorry. I can't risk her daughter's life."

"But you will be safer here," Isaz insisted.

Leo smiled, but sadness gleamed on his eyes, as if he was yearning for something . . . something that he had already lost.

"Minerva has lived a rough life," he sobbed. "She said she doesn't want her child to live the same way. She wants her to live normally. And even though I know that's impossible, I want to honor her wish."

"But you're going to leave her in an orphanage, right?"

"Yes. They may still be looking for those who supported the previous government and I don't want her to be targeted, too. It's best for her to live with the humdrums right now. And maybe, when I'm ready to take care of her and protect her, then I can get her back."

His words echoed inside my head and resonated with me. I remembered Krystal and how I failed to protect her when I promised our parents I would.

Maybe he was right. Maybe I, too, should think like him.

I'm sorry, Krystal. I don't think I can meet you in this state. I was appointed as the leader of this strong force, yet I'm still weak. Proving myself would be difficult but I have to. And when I'm finally ready to take back what they have stolen from us, I promise I will find you.

"Winter."

My thoughts disappeared into thin air when I saw Hale outside my window. His eyes had turned into purple, like most of the kids in this village. His face was also covered with cuts and dirt but he didn't seem to mind it. A smile escaped my lips. It felt like yesterday when he always cried every time he got hurt.

"What is it?"

"Hilda is calling you."

I went out of the window and walked with Hale. Looking at him, it looked like he grew at least a few centimeters taller. Kinda annoying.

When we got to the training grounds, Hilda and Riyo were already there as several children approached them.

"Now that you have honed your fighting instincts to their limits, we can now see what kind of attribute each of you possess," Riyo said.

According to Hilda, if a child has parents with different attributes, it won't necessarily mean he or she will inherit one of them. The child might assume the attribute of one of his or her grandparents or their older ancestors.

In our case, the Alveria clan was kept pure. They could only marry those with of ice attributes users, resulting to every descendant bearing similar abilities. Mom was also from a 'pure' lineage, several branches away from Dad's line, and I realized I am now burdened with the responsibility to continue our bloodline's purity.

"Those who came from a pure bloodline can manifest their clan's attribute in its pure form. Like this," Riyo explained. Suddenly, beads of water encircled him and formed into a sphere. "But those who are from a heterogenous line can channel their power through weapons."

"We call them veinas," Hilda added.

They presented a variety of weapons and other stuff in front of us and some of the kids started walking, their eyes vacantly staring at the weapons, as if they were hypnotized.