twenty three

━━ ∘₊✧ TWENTY THREE

━━ ∘₊✧ TWENTY THREE

IT'S the day before Hyejin and Jeongguk's birthday and she couldn't hide her happiness. Hyejin woke up early to get to school a little earlier than usual to study for her English test.

"Jiwoo! I'm leaving already!" Hyejin shouted out to her cousin as she closed the door. She ran out of the front yard and opened the gate as fast as possible. If she gets there in exact time she'll have a whole hour to study and have the library to herself for about half an hour.

"JinJin! I didn't think you would make it on time." Hyejin's friend, Ellie, smiled as she saw her friend running towards her.

"I know me neither, but here I am!" Ellie was half Mexican and half Korean. She transferred from America to Hyejin's school just last year and quickly befriended her. "Hurry, let's go inside." Hyejin nodded. "Let's go!"

"So how was your week, chingu?" Ellie has always spoke English to Hyejin but would sometimes speak broken Korean. To be honest, Hyejin understood her more when she speaks English. Her Korean isn't really good but she doesn't complain, she just tries her best to understand her.

"It has been going well. And yours chingu?" Hyejin asked as she looked up from her homework.
"It's been...so-so, but I have more exciting news." Hyejin sat up straight and moved closer to her friend.

"What is it?" Hyejin couldn't hide her curiosity.
"Tomorrow you turn 15!" Ellie whispered-shouted as she quietly jumped up and down on her seat.

"You know, on my Hispanic side when a girl turns fifteen we make a big celebration and the girl wears a really gorgeous dress," Ellie explained to her friend.

"Really?! That sounds exciting! Why fifteen though?" Hyejin asked. "Because in our history when a girl turned fifteen she officially became a woman and were able to marry and basically become an adult. But now we celebrate it in such a way because it's not normal in this society to marry at fifteen anymore." Hyejin always loved the stories Ellie tells her about her nationality.