Chapter Twenty Seven: The Balance Of All Things...

The Caretakers were in the process of cleaning up from the storm. They were on their way back up to the cluster of stone huts to begin the repairs. When out of nowhere a huge chunk stone came hurtling down the edge of the mountain. Rey, Ahsoka, and Luke were making their way up the steady incline to the Temple when all of a sudden they heard a loud crashing sound. The bouncing boulder came charging thud by heavy devestating thud rocketing on downward past them barely missing Rey, as Ahsoka stuck her arm out to stop her as it flew past. Luke drops his head and forlornly shakes it from side to side in utter disappointment. Ahsoka looks over towards Rey as they hear the impact and shocked cries of the Caretakers below them. When they looked over the thin ridge of the cragly precipice they look down to see the stone carrying away the broken remnants of a cart. The handles still in her hands one of the Caretakers looks right at Rey and then angrily tossed the broken handles over the edge storming away in a huff.

Ahsoka: What?

Rey: Ben?

Luke: Did you need to guess?

Rey: Not really...They don't look very happy...

Luke: Well, would you be...they've been looking after and maintaining the island for generations. Then you two show up blasting holes through the walls, decapitating rocks...

Rey: Oh okay...So we're not going to even mention your exploding the hut then, are we?

In the distance, they could hear the Caretakers angrily chattering, and Luke couldn't help but roll his eyes. The strange language and embittered mutterings continued as they turned to climb the rock face.

Caretakers: Not again...Everytime we get something put back the way it's supposed to be....THIS HAPPENS! I cannot work under these conditions! The previous generations never made such a mess of things. They were neat....disciplined...they talked out their disagreements and didn't throw temper tantrums!

Ahsoka: We'll be outside. You have to be open to the Force, Rey. Let it speak to you in whatever form it chooses. Remember this place has its own laws, and they must be obeyed. And if you could refrain from destroying any more sacred landmarks, I'm sure Master Luke would greatly appreciate it...

Rey started to walk towards the narrow archway leading into the Temple, but she hesitated sensing a shift in the energy of the space. She stood there looking into the shadows in front of her, and while she knew she had to go inside, there was something tell her not to. Something inside holding her back...something whispering to her to be cautious...Rey turned around to look a worried expression on her face.

Rey: What's in there? It feels different...colder, but more...alive than it did before.

Ahsoka: Only what you bring with you exists in there, Rey. Only what you bring with you in here..

Ahsoka reached out placing her hand on Rey's chest, as she did so Rey could feel a sense of calm wash over her, like all the fears had been silenced by her touch. Rey reached out taking Ahsoka's hand and held it in hers, letting the Force connect them...letting it show her who Ahsoka truly was. Rey's eyes grew as she watched the history written by those hands, the past she'd walked away from, and the future she was hoping to make reality. Rey walked inside stopping only once more to take a last look at Luke before she walked into the darkness of the arch and disappeared.

"May the Force be with You...Both."

As Rey walked in she felt her skin prickle, the tiny hairs on her arms standing erect, she brought her arms to her chest. As she rubbed fighting to brush away the sensation she heard a voice behind her. She turned looking down the passage way behind her. A violent gust of wind barreled down through the passage taking her breath away, the wind stung her eyes as she struggled to block it with her hands, and forcing her to back peddle down the hallway. She nearly lost her footing but as she braced for the impact, but as she falls she feels a hand catch hold of the front of her tunic. When Rey opened her eyes there was nothing there. She backed up looking down the long tunnel leading back the way she came. Rey could hear a voice coming into focus behind her as she looked over her shoulder. Unsteady on her feet and unsure of turning her back on the entrance Rey cautiously side steps her way into the nave of the Temple. Whispers fly to her on the breeze, their words mute the sound of the people in front of her as she continues forward towards them. Rey could feel herself almost slowing down as she tried to push for each step closer to the two bodies in the center of the Temple.