kuroken

A/N: vent chapter

Kenma smiles fondly at the promise ring on his finger. He stares at it, taking in every little detail. There's a small scratch in the ring from being worn for so long but Kenma doesn't mind, its still perfect.

"Kenma, close your eyes. I have something for you." Kuroo said, sitting across from him on the bed.

"This better be worth it, I was about to finish the level." Kenma complains.

Kuroo just smiles at him and waits for him to sit up and close his eyes. When he's ready, Kuroo takes the small velvet box out of his hoodie pocket and opens it.

"Open your eyes, Kitten."

It's a silver ring.

Kenma's gasps, eyes darting to the ring, then to Kuroo, then falling back down to stare at the beautiful piece of jewelry inside the box.

"Kuroo." He whisperes, tears threatening to fall.

"Kenma Kozume, I promise to love you and cherish you forever. You will always be the light of my life." Kuroo is fighting back his own tears at this point.

"It's not much but it's just a promise that I'm making to you right here and now."

Kenma lunges forward, pressing his lips onto Kuroo's "I love you!" he says through sobs.

Kuroo smiles and holds on to Kenma tightly. "I love you too, Kitten. Always."

///

Kenma hums at the memory and sits up in their bed. Kuroo had gone out to pick up their lunch and suggested that Kenma stay at home. As much as Kenma wanted to leave, he had felt a little sick that morning so he agreed to stay and rest.

Just as Kenma stands up, he finds it suddenly very hard to breath. A metallic taste fills his mouth as a rough sensation burns his throat and tongue. He coughs, spitting out blood. The red liquid fills him with panic and he rushed to the bathroom.

He barely makes it to the to the toilet when he's throwing up dozens of blood stained rose petals. His throat burns as he gasps for air. The coughing eventually stops and he tries to get up off the bathroom floor.

Shaky hands find grip the sink as he pulls himself up. He fishes his phone out of his pocket and calls the first person he can think of.

The phone rings for a bit before a loud voice is greeting him. "Hey Kenma!"

"Shouyou, I need help." Kenma's voice is rough, he can still taste his own blood.

"Kenma, whats wrong? Are you ok?" Hinata's voice was now laced with worry.

Kenma clutches his chest as another violent cough rips through him. A mix a of blood and flower petals coat the mirror and Kenma lets out a cry.

"Kenma?!" Hinata yells through the phone.

"What's going on with me, Shouyou? I'm coughing up flowers!" Kenma manages to say through coughing fits.

He hears a gasp on the other end of the line followed by silence. Kenma's heart drops. "Oh, Kenma."

"What?!" Kenma cries.

"It's called Hanahaki disease. You get it when you're the victim of unrequited love."

Kenma doesn't understand. Unrequited love? That couldn't be it, it just couldn't. Kuroo loves Kenma, doesn't he?

"I have to go." Kenma doesn't wait for a response. He hangs up and falls back on the floor, vomiting up more flowers.