Chapter 43 ~ Not the only Winter Soldier

Start from the beginning

Some agents walk by with Dad's shield and Sam's wing jets. They probably just put my ring in their pocket. One of them comes over to me and takes the power dampening collar off my neck and I sigh in relief. I vibrate my arm with the bullet lodged in it and it comes out and drops to the floor. That's one way to remove a bullet. They then wrap bandages around my leg and arm.

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that," Sam says as we follow the agents.

Dad looks back and I do too. We catch Bucky's eye before he looks away and the doors close so we can't see him anymore. Dad continues helping me walk as we walk on a covered skywalk.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" Everett says.

"I don't intend on going anywhere," T'Challa says.

"I don't either as long as I have wifi, Netflix, and earbuds," I say.

Natasha joins us and walks side by side with us. "For the record, this is what making things worse looks like," Nat says to Dad.

"He's alive," Dad says back to her.

"No. Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. And, Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup." Tony says over the phone as we walk into the room he's in.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this," Nat says to us as the three of us stand by a wall, waiting for Tony to get off the phone. T'Challa split off from us, not sure where he's going.

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir." Tony then hangs up as he makes his way to us.

"'Consequences'?" Dad asks.

"Secretary Ross wants you three prosecuted. Had to give him something." Tony says.

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?" Dad asks with an amused smile.

"Technically, it's the government's property. Ring and wings, too." Natasha says to us. Damn my ring is government property now? I mean I could probably get it back without them noticing if I try.

"That's cold," Sam says.

"Warmer than jail!" Tony calls back as he and Nat walk away.

I roll my eyes. Dad takes me to a glass-walled office that overlooks the control room. I sit down and sigh in relief as I rest my leg on the chair next to me. I hear the door open and Roy comes in and immediately slaps the back of my head.

"Hey!" I whine and rub my head.

"What is wrong with you? Are you trying to end up in jail?" He asks me. Dad just watches us from the corner of the room.

"No. I'm trying to save a lost and broken soul," I say to him.

Roy sighs, frustratingly. "Please just stay out of more trouble. We literally graduate in about a month."

"No promises," I tell him and he gives me a look. "Did you sign?"

"No of course I didn't!"

"Then why are you on my ass like everyone else in this place is?"

"Because it's the government!" Roy practically yells at me. He lowers his voice. "And I care about you."

I smile at him. "I can take care of myself Roy."

"I know you can, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna stop worrying about you." He says softly. I smile at him and gesture him to sit down next to me in the seat that doesn't have my leg on it.