5. Lessons

Canute POV:

The next day Canute woke up with a clumsy smile on his face. He excitedly jumped out of bed and called the palace servants to his bedchambers, to help him get ready. As his robes were being tied around him, Canute looked at himself in the mirror. He was awake all night, thinking about one person only. Canute should've been thinking about taking down King Sweyn, but the only person on his mind was Thorfinn. Canute's cheeks turned rosy pink at just the thought of touching Thorfinn's coarse hands, and looking deep into his brown eyes. He realized last night, at the feast, that he was in love with Thorfinn.

Canute couldn't wait to meet Thorfinn in the basement of the palace for their very first English lessons. Once his long hair had been thoroughly brushed, Canute walked out of his room and rushed towards the basement while two palace guards trailed behind him. When Canute got to the bottom of stairs, he turned to the hallway that lead to the basement. While walking, he passed the bedchambers where the palace guards lived. He knew that Thorfinn had been told to live in one of those rooms for as long as they stayed in the palace, but Canute wasn't sure which one of the rooms were Thorfinn's. He made a mental note to ask Thorfinn later.

Canute arrived at the basement doors, and told the palace guards to stand outside. Canute walked in and there Thorfinn was, in a darkly lit room sitting on a wooden chair in front of a long round table, his legs crossed. Thorfinn held his short sword in his free hand, flipping it and tapping it against the table. His other arm was still wrapped in bandages, and his head was held down low, not looking up or standing up when Canute entered the room. Canute cleared his throat loud enough to get Thorfinn's attention. Thorfinn turned his head and looked at Canute, giving him a glare.

"You do realize you're supposed to stand and bow when a noble is in your presence." Canute said, walking towards Thorfinn, with a smile on his face.

Thorfinn sighed. "I'm not bowing down for a princess like you." He coldly stated.

Canute bit his lip and walked to the left side of Thorfinn, where a chair was waiting for him. He sat down and placed his satchel on the table top. He hastily opened the bag and pulled out two old books, a scroll, and two quill pens. Thorfinn was quietly observing Canute as he pulled out the supplies, which made Canute nervous. 

"By the way," Thorfinn abruptly said. Canute glanced at him, waiting for him to continue speaking. "Don't tell anyone of this." He said, his eyes looking at the prince sternly.

"Why not?" Canute questioned, and Thorfinn scoffed, not answering. It didn't matter because Canute knew why. "Is it because you're embarrassed?" Canute teased. Thorfinn turned to look at Canute, gritting his teeth. He clutched Canute's long leather sleeve tightly, and gave the prince his dagger eyes. Canute laughed and picked up a quill pen and handed it to Thorfinn.

"A pen? For what?" Thorfinn asked, holding the quill pen like a sword.

"To write English." Canute replied, picking up a quill pen for himself. "How can you learn a language without writing it out?" Canute began to write sentences on the scroll of paper for Thorfinn to practice with.

Thorfinn slumped in his chair and looked up at Canute, his eyes wide and brows furrowed. Canute couldn't help but think that he looks like a cute puppy. Canute nodded his head, wondering what Thorfinn wanted to say. Thorfinn sighed, and looked the other way out of embarrassment. "I don't know how to write or read, idiot." Thorfinn murmured, clenching his tiny fists. Canute gasped and then smiled. "Stop laughing!" Thorfinn exclaimed. "I'm not a pretty princess like you, okay? I don't have access to all the books in the world. I don't care about books in the first place."

"Not even Norse?" Canute asked. Thorfinn shook his head, his scruffy blonde hair flying about.

"That's why I think it's better to speak to me in English, instead of writing it down. I'll learn it better that way." Thorfinn explained, scratching his head.