Girlfriend, Boyfriend

Start from the beginning

"Oh, um... Ellie? My brother's driving us today. So you might wanna get yourself together completely and calm down. I'm sure he'll say something about it to you in private," Christian told her when she came out of the bathroom.

Elizabeth took another deep breath and decided she was fine. "I'll be okay, thanks, Christian."

Soon they were all sitting in Ben's grey Lexus UX 200 and was on their way to school. Elizabeth had caught Ben looking at her through the mirror once or twice but nothing more. Christian and Angie had also looked at her with weird facial expressions throughout the ride. Ben dropped all of them off and drove away to park the car without saying anything but "goodbye" to the three of them. Angie shrugged when Elizabeth looked at her, telling her to leave it alone and that Ben would do something at some point in the day. She hoped that was true and sighed as she walked to the school with her friends.

"I'm going to my classes now," Angelina said, going inside of the school and waving.

"Ok, see you at lunch then," Elizabeth told Angelina, waving back.

"Bye!" Christian told them before walking away.

She looked around for her brother, as she knew her parents would want her to, and she did too, especially after yesterday. He was standing with his closest friends and laughing with them. She smiled softly, then walked into the school and to her classes.

Elizabeth struggled to think about anything or anyone other than Ben and that night. Was it real? Or was it just what he was feeling at the moment? Elizabeth had known Ben since she'd met Christian, which was on the first day of kindergarten. They'd known each other for around eleven years. She'd always thought Ben was a really nice guy but didn't have any feelings for her until a few years back when her group started talking about guys in the school. She hoped that Ben actually did like her as more than just his brother's all-time best friend.

Suddenly Elizabeth felt a familiar shoulder bump against hers right before she entered the class. Elizabeth looked up and saw her least favourite person in the world, Seraphina. For her whole entire life, there were two girls, Seraphina and Katherine, that hated Elizabeth the most because they were jealous that everyone seemed to revolve around Elizabeth. Seraphina had jet black hair which was always put down, partially small black eyes, tanned skin, and always wore a little too much makeup with only skirts that were a bit too short. Katherine had black hair that was always put up in a high ponytail, round eyes that were coloured dark brown, dark skin, who also wore a little too much makeup and only skirts. They tried hard, every day to get people to turn on Elizabeth but that only made their classmates look down on them even more.

"Ow! Did you just try to hurt me!?" Seraphina shouted so people in the hall and the class she was about to enter, heard.

"I was just walking and minding my own business when you started sticking weirdly to me like wet sugar. This hallway isn't crowded at all, so why are you both walking so close to me?" Elizabeth shot at her.

"U-uh," Seraphina and Katherine muttered.

They looked around, and sure enough, Elizabeth was right, the halls were spaced out so much, people could work on the floor and there would still be enough space for others to walk around. Everyone walking in the hall had stopped to look at them.

"Look, Elizabeth," Katherine started, a mean look on her face. "You're... you're the most annoying person I know!" she screamed as if that was insulting. She seemed to have run out of things to say even though she'd said nothing at all.

"Honestly, Kat... you have your whole life to make rude remarks at me every single day. Why not take today off?" Elizabeth asked, a serious smile on her face.

A few students in the hall laughed quietly, and students in the classroom didn't even try hiding their laughs because they were so used to situations like these every day.

"Ugh, whatever, looking at your nasty face for so long makes my eyes sore!" Seraphina spat.

"Uh I'm so offended, now you're going to make me your mirror, abuse." Elizabeth shot back.

The pair rolled their eyes and walked into the classrooms like divas, and soon after, the teacher had arrived and walked into the classroom with the help of Elizabeth opening the door. After the morning classes had finished for Elizabeth, she opened her locker and grabbed her lunch.

She met up with Angie, like always, and pushed open the doors to sit outside in the courtyard. Elizabeth sat down at her regular table with her friend group and ate her lunch with a bored expression on her face. She was almost done when she felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Ben.

"Um hey, Ellie? Can I talk to you... alone?" he asked.

Elizabeth could feel her spirits soar, and everyone at the table was trying hard not to look at them and ruin the moment.

"Um, yeah, sure thing," Elizabeth replied.

They walked up a little farther away from everyone else and looked into each other's eyes.

"So um..., what do you want to talk about?" Elizabeth asked, her heart pounding out of her chest.

"I just wanted to tell you that I've known you for 14 years Ellie, and I've wanted to confess this to you for a very long time but I was kind of... embarrassed? " Ben said, unsure. "I'm sorry that the kiss last night was, um, so sudden, the truth is I like you, and have liked you since 7th grade, I just didn't know how to say it, and uh... I wanted to ask you if you would be my girlfriend!?" Ben asked.

"U-um, actually, Ben... I've liked you for a long time too!" Elizabeth admitted.

Suddenly Ben leans in and kisses Elizabeth and this time, not to her surprise, she kisses back, it was as if time froze from a minute to an hour. All of Elizabeth's friends and the group were watching them and they all looked at the new couple sweetly. Christian looked in disgust but didn't turn away, and Angie took pictures to remember this special moment. Suddenly, someone screamed from across the courtyard.

"I've hated you for a long time, and you know that, but you didn't have to do that!" Seraphina screamed all of a sudden, shoving Elizabeth with some force but not enough so that she moved too much... She looked hurt and was hysterically crying.

Did Seraphina like Ben? Elizabeth didn't know how to react. "Seraphina, I-"

She was cut off by a more forceful push from Seraphina, causing her to spin a bit and land face-first onto the concrete trail that was between all of the tables. No one laughed; they all just stared at Seraphina like she was crazy and looked at Elizabeth with sympathy. Elizabeth had never meant to make her jealous... she didn't even know how she felt. How could she have?