I stare at the floor, eyes widening at my realisation.

Maybe I do like him like that.

No, you're crazy, you've known him for only a week and a half Zak.

I shove those thoughts aside. "So, what do you want from me?" I spit at the older boy. He's standing a metre or so away from me, eyes never moving away.

"I want you to stop talking to him."

"What?! Never!" I yell in disgust. "That's not your choice to make! I can talk to him if I want to!"

Zelk's smile turns wicked. "Shame, guess the whole school will just have to know about your problems after all."

What I say next surprises even me. I've gone for months suffering through those awful parties weeks after week to protect my scars. I've gotten drunk and beaten up, yelled at and lied to to protect what I'm most ashamed of. Yet here I am, throwing it all away for him.

For Darryl.

"Fine. Tell them, tell them all."

Zelk's eyes grow wide in shock. He was expecting me to grovel to him again, swearing I'll stay away from Darryl if he shuts up. But here I am, even as my thoughts run wild at the edge of a panic attack from what I've just said.

He's already told Vincent. That's the only way he could've found out. Who knows who else he's told, he could've told half the school and I wouldn't even know.

His smile returns. "Fine. You're free to leave. I have no reason to talk to you anymore."

I can't believe it. No more hiding, no more parties. No more acting like a puppet and being forced to do whatever Zelk wants.

I'm free.

Or so I thought.

I jump up, throwing my bag over my shoulder and heading for the apartment door. He can tell the world, he can fucking tell them and see if I care. I have Darryl, and that's all I need.

"Alright then." I swing open the door. "So don't expect me at any of these parties anymore, I'm free of your shit Zelkam."

Zelk laughs wickedly. It's a low laugh, which makes my stomach turn over. "You just wait and see Zak. Everyone will find out. Nothing will be the same. Secrets finally out."

"You're ruined Zak Carder."

"Yeah, yeah whatever." I walk out, slamming the door shut behind me.

~~~

I relax as I enter Darryl's apartment, the sweet scent of blueberry muffins filling the air. He gave me the pin code to his apartment, telling me I'm free to come over whenever.

Darryl's stood in the kitchen, eagerly watching the oven which must be full of blueberry muffins. I shut the door behind me, causing him to turn around. "Zak!" His eyes light up as he walks over to me, pulling me into a tight embrace. "Thought you weren't coming today." I break our hug, throwing my bag on the table beside us. "Didn't you read the note I left you?"

"No..." Darryl's eyes drift to a blue post-it note stuck to the table, not even a metre away. "Oh. Whoops I'm such a silly muffin." He rubs the back of his neck as his face heats in embarrassment.

Cute.

Wait...

"You baking?" I chirp. Stupid question, I already knew that. I don't think I'm thinking straight. "Um... yeah." Darryl lets out a laugh. "You seriously couldn't tell?" I decide to play dumb. "Oh! No I didn't." I burst out into forced laughter.