Chapter 3 (Part 8)

Start from the beginning

"I'm here! Sorry I'm late."

Taeyeon heard a familiar voice and turned around to see Juhyun approaching.

"No worries. Check the scene for any similarity to Himchan's and document everything," she told the lab technician who quickly went to work. "No one knows the details better than you do so I prefer having you here, directly at the scene, in addition to the forensic team."

"Got it, Unnie."

The inspector then approached Yuri and Yoona. "No ID on the victim?"

"None whatsoever," said Yuri. "And his prints came back as classified."

"What?"

"But I cleared it," Yoona said, showing Taeyeon the folder she was carrying. "This man, Kim Baechul aka Yoo Hyungsook, used to be Yongbak's dealer. We busted him and struck a deal, making him our informant for a few years. But then Yongbak found out and almost killed him. We took him out of the organization, put him under our protection and made him disappear."

"Until now," Taeyeon frowned, scrutinizing the writings on the papers inside the folder. "Call me crazy but I find it a bit too coincidental that we pulled him out around the same time that Park Ilnam was killed."

"Himchan's old girl's father?" asked Yuri. "You think whoever killed this guy did so because of his ties to Himchan or his old girl?"

"Yes. The shootings look very similar and so do the dumpsites. I'm pretty sure he was shot with a .22 as well. Then there's those, the drag marks," Taeyeon turned around and pointed at the floor, "despite the fact that this man is smaller than Himchan. Really, you can't miss the similar methods used to dump both bodies."

"But this one's less brutal. One clean shot to the forehead. Quite different from Himchan's gory head wounds," Yuri said. "And I didn't see bits and pieces of meat or strange splatter on his clothes or the side of his face."

"It's too early to tell. We have to wait for results from Doctor Shin and Juhyun," the captain said. "Good thing Himchan's death didn't make the news. We can rule out copycat."

"The Commissioner pulled a lot of strings to keep the media out of this, didn't he?" Taeyeon asked Yoona in a low voice.

"He did. But there's nothing interesting about a dead John Doe in an alley anyway. We could say that it's just a robbery gone wrong or an unfortunate hobo should anyone ask." Yoona took a deep breath. "Alright. Let's let the forensic team do their thing and go back to the station to dig on whatever hunch you have, Inspector Kim."

"I'm going to explore these alleys some more," Yuri said. "Maybe there's something that can link us back to Himchan's murder."

"Okay. Take a uniform with you," ordered Yoona. "Inspector Kim, I want you to brief me on everything the team has managed to discover while I was away."

"Yes, Captain, but it's your day off. Don't you have a date or something?" Taeyeon said as she walked beside Yoona, heading back to her car.

"This dead guy put an end to that date," replied Yoona, pulling Taeyeon's car door open.

"Too bad. So Mister Mayor's Son dropped you off here?" Taeyeon stepped inside her car and started her engine.