beautiful | r. malek

"She was totally checking you out!" You exclaimed, teasing your bestfriend, Rami. You tugged at his arm, making him stumble towards you.

"No way," He says, putting his finger on your lips.

"I totally don't blame her though, you're absolutely gorgeous!" Smiling, you reached out your hand and pinched his nose. He scrunches it up and smiles back, winking.

You and Rami had a habit of eating lunch together, at the campus park. You both loved how nobody was there—so it was peaceful.

Both of you were at your usual spot, under the shade of the large trees. Taking out the sandwiches that you've packed for each other, he takes one from your hand, immediately going in for a huge bite.

"Wait, what was her name?" He asks, mouth stuffed. Bread crumbs scattered around his chin, so you took a napkin and dapped it off. "Hm?" You asked, not really listening to what he said earlier.

"That girl, what was her name?" He repeated his question, swallowing his food. "Oh, I think her name is Rachelle. She's in Visual Arts class with us!" You say, "you're thinking of asking her out?"

You'd always tease him whenever girls would stare at him. I mean, who wouldn't? He's extremely gorgeous, with his big grey- green eyes, mixed with blue— like the blue sky behind the stormy clouds. He was actually one of the biggest flirts in University- also since High School. He'd say something like, 'Hey darling, you look fine as hell,' with a wink, or 'I can picture you as a work of art, sexy.'

But you guys were nothing more than just bestfriends. It has never crossed that boundary but- no one knew you had the biggest crush on him for the longest time.

This one was different. And it has caught you off guard.

"I... I'm thinking of really asking her out, maybe to a movie this weekend-" "What?!" You exclaimed immediately, mouth full. Rami looks at you, confused but also trying to suppress his laughter. "What seems to be the problem, darling?" He breaks into an adorable smile, and pinches your cheek.

You were still staring at him, waiting for you to chew down your food. He giggles quietly, looking at you to say something.

"Well..." you swallow, "You- said yes for once. I mean, it's not a bad thing, really! Just that- it's different, you know what I mean?" You felt yourself feeling slightly more uncomfortable. Your eyes were turning glassy and you were looking up, trying not to shed a tear.

"Is that supposed to be a bad thing?" Rami asked, tilting his head and raising and eyebrow. "No! Not at all, it's just new. That's all." You smiled awkwardly. "Excuse me," You say, rushing to the toilet. Also to break down for a minute.

"Wait-" Before Rami could finish, you ran off to the restroom.

You weren't ready to see him kiss another girl. Or even with another person. You'd always have dreams of you being together, growing up, having a family. You were also not ready to see him loving someone- a girl- more than he could love you. Rami could never possibly love you more than just a friend.

Was this jealousy? Why would you be jealous? You've already accepted the fact that you were his bestfriend for fuck's sake- long ago. You shake your head, looking at the mirror, starting to shed a few tears.

You slowly start dragging your feet out of the Ladies' room, dreading to go back to Rami.

"Where were you?" He asked, looking at you worriedly, as if he was trying to read you.

"Uh- to freshen up? I was very tired today," You lied. "I know what you're gonna say, y/n."

"What do you mean, Rami?"

"I- I shouldn't go for it. The movi, with Rachelle. Let's say that I'm not good enough for her." He said, looking down.

You reached into your school bag, taking out the sketchbook.

"What's this for?" Rami asked. "Just flip through it, you'll find something."

"You guys are assigned to draw something beautiful," Your Visual Arts teacher says, "it can be a person, an object, or even something you imagine, it's your creativity."

You turned to your side, seeing Rami looking out of the window, resting his chin on his hand. The side angle made him look absolutely beautiful, his perfectly sculpted jawline, his curly hair. He looked like a work of art.

You started sketching, and that was the time you've developed the deepest feelings for him. He has caught you staring at him, which made him stick out his tongue at you, making you giggle.

"I- I can't believe this," Rami said, waking you up from your train of thought. "What is it, Rami?"

"That you found me beautiful."

"Yes, so uh- please don't doubt yourself! And I really do think this way as uh- I love you so yeah." You say quickly, taking the sketchbook from his hands, "Okay I gotta go for Literature so I'll see you!"

"Wait!" Rami said, grabbing your hand, stopping you in your tracks. "Let's say I deserve better."

"Alright, that's great but I really have to go-"

"Just let me finish!" Rami raised his voice slightly, "Would you wanna go watch the movie- with me instead? Like a date."

"A date." "Yes, exactly."

You nodded your head, snapping back to reality. This is real. He proceeds to link his arm with yours, walking you back to your class.

"I'll see you after 8th period, love." He says, with his fingers running through your hair, "I love you."

You both would always share I Love Yous but this is different. He really meant it.

"I love you too, silly boy! Now you really have to get going, don't be late!" You say, ruffling his curly hair, and tiptoeing to kiss his forehead.

You quickly rush to class, smiling. And Rami was standing there dumbfounded, before rushing back to class- looking foward to seeing you again after.

________

i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! please do stay safe and wash ur hands 🥰