Chapter 18

Dhalson drags me to the edge of the cave and we stop at the edge of the rocky floor before it turns into dirt.

“Can you take us to the Browns land? Or are you too tired?” Dhalson doesn’t let go of my arm completely, but he releases the death grip he had that felt like he was going to snap my boney arm.

After an awkward silence of him waiting for an answer, and me looking around wondering who he is talking to, he turns to me with raised eyebrows.

“Are you talking to me?” I turn again to look behind me, then back to him. “I don’t know how to get there.”

“What do you mean you don’t know how to get there? Just follow to earth Amber. Are you feeling okay?” He strokes my forehead with the back of his hand and traces is down to my cheek. Something that should be an intimate touch but somehow isn’t. It’s like my one of my brothers touches. I don’t feel nervous or uncomfortable, nor do I feel any pull like when Kye touches me. I frown a little at the thought that maybe I should at least feel uncomfortable, the man did slap me twice.

“You may be a little cold Amber. We will take it slow and if you get your strength up you can take us there. It shouldn’t be longer than a days walk either way.” He takes my hand again and we start walking.

“Why are we going to the Browns?” After walking a few miles in silence I remember that I should be prepared for anything once we arrive there.

“It’s where you belong Amber. It is where you will thrive and be able to tap into your essence easier than anywhere else. Don’t you want that?”

“I… guess so.” My essence? What the heck is that? I want to ask more questions but I have to keep the facade up that I am just forgetful. He can’t know I am from the human world. He already went ballistic once, and I really did not want to that to happen again. I just have to gage my time and play it cool till Kye gets here. He will find me. I can still feel the pull to him from my heart. It’s an uncomfortable feel but as of now it my favorite feeling in the world. He’s getting closer.

After a few hours of walking in silence, Dhalson finally stops and plops down on the ground. I stay standing and look around us, trying to take this opportunity to keep my distance from him. He hasn’t let go of my arm this entire time. He occasionally will switch hands and grab my other arm but that just means that I now have two sets of matching bruises. I rub my arms and find a place to sit a decent amount of space away from him.

“Here.”

I look up in time to see him tossing a large purple fruit at me. A grape! It has a knife already stuck in it and I set it down to start slicing it.

“Where did you get a grape from?” I ask him, they don’t grow grapes in florida right? That’s why I figured Kye always had oranges for snacks.

I look up at him when he doesn’t answer me. He is frowning at me and then points to a vine that is right next to him with grapes hanging off if it. Gosh I wish Kye was here so I could ask all the questions going through my head. Why is there a vine of grapes in the middle of the Everglades? I thought that’s where we were. Even though now that I think about it, it’s not very swampy here.

Dhalson is still looking at me suspiciously so I try to cover it up. “I, um.” I cough a little to stall so I could get my thoughts together. I really suck at being put on the spot. “I mean, it’s been so long since I’ve had a grape. Being in the ground and all.” I go back to cutting the grape, hoping he won’t say anything more about it, which thank goodness he doesn’t.

Once I am done cutting up the grape I sit back and start to eat it. There more than enough for two so it doesn’t surprise me when Dhalson comes over and joins me. He still has a frown on his face and is staring at the grapes not touching them yet.