Chapter 12

“What? Where’s Juliet? And Carson?”

“Eh, Juliet is safe. Carson turned out to be no help to me at all.” He says casually. “But you...” He looks me up and down and then looks up to where Kye is trying to cut the man free with his knife. “You are definitely going to be a strong asset.”

“I don’t understand.” I look back up at Kye. I wonder if he can hear my whispering from here. Ben is here. I say.

Kye’s head shoots up from his hacking at the branch and lands on me. Immediately he turns completely to face both of us.

“Do you think he will really help you find your family? Or that he even cares?” Ben asks.

“What are you talking about?” I ask. Kye is making his way quickly down again. Others from inside the village are calling after him for help but he ignores them.

“Your father is the one who got Kye’s father banished. Why would he want to help you?” Ben turns and faces me. “I know where he is. We have to leave now if you want to get to him in time. Before it's too late.” Ben grabs my hand and starts pulling me. I twist my wrist and pull my hand out of his grasp.

“You are going to have to do a little bit more explaining than that Ben. What do you mean by ‘too late’? And where is the rest of my family?” I fold my arms over my chest.

“You seem to have adjusted quickly to this life. Accepted your duties as a subject of the TayLon.” He spits out the word subject in disgust as he stares at Kye’s vine around my head. “Why so quick Emory? Do you not care that they only want you to bow down and continue to mindlessly work under ground?”

“I don’t know enough to answer that.” I answer honestly.

“Ugh. You are just as mindless as the rest of them!” He yells.

“Dinnae raise yer voice to mah True.” Kye voice rumbles behind me. He puts his hand on my shoulder and pulls me back against his chest. “Answer the lasses questions Venn. Where is her kin?”

“In the army of course.” He says simply.

“Army?” I ask. Kye steps around me so the he is a little in front of me. He is taller than Ben which is a comfort to me in some way.

“Yes army.” He answers easily as he examines his fingernails. “I have raised it myself.”

“What are ye plannin’ on daein’ with this army Venn?”

“Aren’t you tired of playing by these old world rules Kye? Aren’t you sick of being thrown into roles you have no desire of playing? And thats what it all is to them. A play. A game. Your time and life is meaningless to them.” Bens anger sweeps around us as he speaks. There is power in them and a few younger trees throb with it.

“Is that what this is tae ye?” Kye asks as he sweeps with his arm towards his village. “Ye trap them with nae a care?”

“They are safe now because of me. I could have collapsed it all when they refused to follow me. Now they are held in place until their choices are swayed.”

Kye is silent for a moment. Really contemplating Bens actions. “Does this nae resemble anythin’ tae ye?” He asks after a time. “Is it nae exactly what our Queen has done but jus’ in a different direction?”

Ben frowns at Kye and the anger inside him subsides for just a moment. I think he is going to talk reasonably just seconds before rage and frustration over take him completely.

“Do you not understand?” He yells. “I, am not the only one that sees it.” He gives a little hysterical laugh. “I, am the one that will start this, but not alone Kye. Oh no, there are plenty of others that are behind me in this. If you do not choose to join me then I make no apologies to you or anyone that robots on.”