chapter six :: it feeds on death

Start from the beginning

Just as the shirt hits the floor, I hear a loud buzz. I spin around and hold my breath, hoping I heard someone else's buzzer. But it rings again, and I know someone outside is wanting to talk to me.

It might be Drake. Fuck. I rush over, knowing he'll bust in here if I don't respond. I press the answer button and ask who it is.

"This is your mother," the voice says. I shut my eyes and swear under my breath. "I've been trying to call you. Let me up."

I look back over my shoulder into the room filled with blood. Anytime my mother visits, she likes to snoop and clean up. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for her to go into my bedroom. I turn back and quickly say, "Hang on," before walking away, not buzzing her in yet.

I run back into the room and rip the sheets off the bed. Some parts of it are still wet, so they smack me in the arm as I yank. They hit the floor with a wet thud and I pile the pillowcases and comforter on top. I hurry to the wardrobe and open the doors, shoving in the clothes from the floor and the bedding.

Suddenly, there's a loud knocking at the door. "Jennifer Arlene! Open the door!"

My heart slams into my throat. How did she get up here!? "J-Just a second!" I yell back, trying to stuff the rest of the sheets into the closet, but it's so full. Fuck, they're going to stain my other clothes too. I close the armoire doors and quickly find a pair of sweats and a tank, slipping into them on my way to the door.

I open the door, and there in her morning glory is my mother. Her hair is in a neat bun with sunglasses on her head. She looks at me with frustration. "Why haven't you been answering me?" She asks as she all but shoves her way into my apartment.

I stand with my mouth open for a second before shutting the door. "I was in the shower," I say quickly. "How did you even get upstairs?"

She waves her hand dismissively. "That nice lady downstairs let me in." Her eyes analyze me before moving over the room. "You didn't show up last night. I was worried."

Shit. Our weekly dinner. "Sorry, Mom. I got caught up at work."

"Well," she starts, and I hold my breath, waiting for her usual speech. "You need to pace yourself. You will get too worked up and..."

As she goes on, I notice something out of the corner of my eye. On the carpet is a splotch of blood. My heart falls into my stomach at the thought of her noticing it. It's behind her though. As casually as I can, I walk past her and stand on the other side of the couch, putting my foot over the spot.

Mom pauses and turns around to face me, her brow furrowed. "What's going on with you? Why are you acting so weird?"

She knows. She knows, doesn't she? I shake my head. "Nothing's wrong," I try to lie but my voice hitches. I could never lie to her. Her or Dad.

She purses her lips. "Jennifer."

I sigh. "I'm fine," I say slowly. "I just had a tough day. A big day. We caught the Devil Lake Killer, actually —"

Immediately, she throws her hands up and shouts. "Ah, stop! I don't want to hear about that!" She all but puts her fingers in her ears. "I lived through that once before with your father, and I don't want to go through it again."

I nod. "Of course," How could I forget that the mere mention of the Devil Lake Killer sends her into a tizzy? That's why I never bring it up. But she wants the truth, so what else am I supposed to say? "I'm sorry, Mom."

She steps over to me, and at first, I stiffen. But when she puts her hands on my arms, I feel all of the tension in my shoulders evaporates. "Next time," she says lowly, "call me if you're going to cancel." Then she breaks out into her charming smile.