When we got home Lui dragged Azula away to see if she could teach him how to create with his magic. I went to my library and looked around, but I didn't have anything on Fae customs. I would have to go to the palace. I checked the time on my watch. It would only be a few minutes to fly there. I left the library and found them on the patio. "I need to run an errand to the palace," I told her. "Okay," She said. "Be careful." I gave her a soft kiss before ruffling Lui's hair, telling him to listen to her while I am away. He gave me a smile before I spread my wings and took flight. 

I entered the palace, greeted with a bow from several of the servants. I didn't acknowledge them as I made my way to the library. My mother met me part way there, "And what brings you here all of the sudden? I hope it is not to kill your brother." I shook my head, "I came to do some research in the library." Her eye brows rose, "Oh? On what?" "Fae instincts and traditions," I told her. She nodded in understanding, "The Fae had traditions that go back to the beginning of time, rarely ever changing, even as the times changed." She walked with me, noting the ring on my finger. "Not your usual taste." "Azula had chosen them," I said while looking down at the rose petal pink and ice blue stones. "She picked them out, shortly after commenting I don't have many things that have color." My mother laughed softly, "It seems your mate has a slight sense of humor after all. At first I worried she was too emotionless." I shook my head, "She is used to having to hide her emotions. She is breaking from that shell, slowly but surely." "And what is our future Queen doing while you are here," She asked me. "She is with Lui," I told her. 

"And how does she like the boy? I know many would not be happy to be mated to someone who has a child with another woman," She asked me cautiously. "She and Lui are growing close," I told her. "She looks after him and cares for him. Lui also looks up  to her as well." She nodded, smiling brightly, "That is wonderful to hear." When I got to the library she left to go about her own business. 

When I found the section of other species I found the book on Fae. I carried it to one of the tables and turned on the lamp. I flipped to the section that talked about their natural instincts. 

The Fae instincts can't be controlled, or held back. A Fae never has to be taught their traditions as it is part of their instincts. It is why their traditions have never changed with the times. Many consider the Fae to be wild beasts in spirit. They have been known to kill someone for simply glancing at their mate or children. The Fae are also known to not have specific gender roles. They hunt, cook, take care of the young, as a team. It is instinct to take care of their mate and children in any way they can. It is often stated that it is an insult to have another prepare a meal for their family. Even the Fae royalty cooked their own meals for their mate and children. The only time food was prepared by another was during a ball or gathering where there would be a large crowd. 

When a male accepts their mate, they gift their mate their most prized weapon. It is a physical vow, claiming that he will always be there to protect them. When a female accepts their mate, she gifts him with an eternal magic charm that will forever have a piece of her magic encased inside it, even if she were to perish. It is a physical vow declaring that she will always be there for him no matter what. Most have the charm made into jewelry of some sort so it can be worn. 

Another custom that is mostly followed by the warriors is tattooing each other. They do it because many male warriors train shirtless, so the mark will be on display as a physical claiming by their partner. The tattooing process is very intimate and usually leads to neither leaving their room for a week or more. 

No matter how long a couple has been mated, their mating marks may always seem fresh because the Fae enjoy marking their mates as often as possible. There have even been times when a Fae has jealousy and possessiveness over take them, they will mark their mate no matter where they are as a declaration to whomever stirred up their emotions to back off. It is their only warning, they give before they move to more drastic measures in dealing with that person. 

I noted it all down mentally and thought back to some of Azula's emotions. She always made sure a meal was cooked for us. I can even guarantee when I go home, dinner will be waiting. I checked my watch. Dinner time was drawing near. I decided to take the book with me to continue reading later. I did not want to be late for dinner. 

I landed outside of the mansion and went in. Lui was playing with Destroyer in the living room and I could smell food being cooked from the kitchen. Azula gave me a smile, "I was worried you wouldn't be home in time for dinner." I kissed her cheek, "I wouldn't miss it." "It'll be ready in a few minutes," She told me. I nodded and turned to Lui, "Go get cleaned up for dinner." "Yes sir," he said and ran up their stairs, Destroyer following behind him eagerly. She then eyed the book in my hands, "Fae Instincts and Customs?" She read out loud. I tucked a strand of hair behind her hair, "I wanted to know more about what to expect now that we were mated. Just know that you don't have to suppress your instincts. I am your mate and it's only natural. And I wanted you and any children we have, to know both sides of themselves." She teared up some what and cupped my cheek, "Thank you Balthazar." I bent my head down and kissed her. We were interrupted by the timer, telling us dinner was ready. Lui came running in, skidding to a halt at the island happily. Destroyer on the other hand, slid into where Rí was laying by his empty food bowl. He growled at Destroyer and Destroyer skittered away with his tail between his legs. 

I assisted Azula in fixing our plates before we sat down. It was quiet as we ate, simply enjoying each other's peace and company. "Dad, the dragons were flapping their wings earlier today, trying to learn how to fly, can we take them to the canyon tomorrow to teach them," Lui asked me as we cleaned off the table while Azula put any left overs away. I nodded, "I think that is a good idea." Wont be long till they will have to start staying outside when they start being able to breathe fire. I made a mental note to have someone come out so I can have the house coated to prevent it from being caught on fire.

After the kitchen was cleaned Azula let the dragons outside. I sent Lui up to get ready for bed before getting Azula and I a glass of wine. I sat in a lounge chair and pulled her to me. She laid in the lounge, her back to my chest. She held the glass in one hand and laced her fingers of her free hand with mine. I looked down at the petite woman in my arms. I felt something swell within me that I couldn't place. It wasn't an unwelcome feeling though. I looked out at the yard where the dragons played in the moonlight. If only things could always be like this.