t w e l v e

"I want a rematch" demanded Cedric as he paced back and forth within Sprout's office.

As soon as the game had finished, with Cedric catching the snitch as Harry lay unconscious on the field, Cedric had asked anyone who would listen to him for a rematch; Professor McGonagall, Madam Hooch, Oliver Wood and now Sprout.

"Cedric," started Sprout, adjusting the reading glasses upon her nose. "As your Head of House, I admire and thank you for your commendable attitude, but as you've already been told, Hufflepuff technically won this game. I asked for a rematch too, but even I was denied."

Letting out a loud groan, Cedric plonked himself on the sofa next to Persephone. As he placed his head in his hands, she lifted her hand to his shoulder and began to rub small circles in order to calm him down. It seemed to work, his heavy breathing slowly becoming quiet and more shallow.

"So I can't do anything else?" he muttered, eventually looking up.

Sprout shook her head, "unfortunately not."

Cedric stood to his feet and picked up the broom laying discarded on the floor, "Come on Persi".

Muttering and grumbling, he departed the plant filled office, storming down the path to the Black Lake. With a small smile and a wave of goodbye, Persephone quickly trailed after best friend.

She ran after him as he walked, his long legs giving him an advantage when it came to escaping others.

"Slow down Cedric!" Persephone whined, "Your legs are longer than mine"

This caused him to stop at last, just as they were approaching the Whomping Willow. He turned around to face her, giving her a half-assed excuse of a smile. Persephone panted as she finally caught up to him.

"I just ran for you Ced, least you could do is smile at me properly. We don't have to talk if you don't want to."

Leaning forward, he smiled directly into her face, showing all his pearly white teeth, exaggerating for her benefit. She slapped him jokingly across the shoulder, before leaning in to give one of her famously tight hugs.

She could feel him instantly relax with the hug, his body becoming less tense. Pulling back so there bodies were still interlocked, Persephone turned up to face Cedric.

"Are you okay?"

Looking down at her, he gave a gentle nod, "I'm fine, I just hate winning that way."

"I understand that Ced, but in Quiditch rules you won. You'll just have to wait til next time you verse them, to beat them properly."

"How do you always know what to say Persi?" Cedric whispered, tucking the strands flying loose from her ponytail behind her ear.

She smiled widely, "just my amazing wisdom and charm I guess?"

They were so close, past the line that they usually crossed with their platonic exchanges. So close that she could feel the thumping of this heart, still pumping with adrenaline, and so that he could hear the faintest of shivers in her breath.

In a blur, Cedric leaned down, pressing his lips against her own. His warm and flushed cheeks contrasting with her own cold skin, his hands tangling themselves in her dark brown locks.

Coming to the realisation of what was happening, she pulled back from the kiss, stepping backwards to try and escape the situation that just occurred. Her foot came in contact with a piece of splintered wood, rolling over the top it, resulting in her body being propelled onto the damp and muddy grass. A sharp pain shot through her hand as another piece of wood pierced her underarm.