2

finn stared at his lit-up phone screen, jack's phone number pulled up. he contemplated as to whether he should reach out, was it too soon? he'd only reconnected with him yesterday, maybe he was just being polite with giving finn his phone number?

the anxious boy pushed these thoughts out of his mind and decided he would shoot jack a text after he'd wrapped his mother's birthday gift.

finn had only been around for four of her birthdays, but he always tried to make them count, after all, she had brought him into her home and treated him as her own kid.

"finn, honey?" his mother called from downstairs, he quickly hid her gift and ran downstairs.

"yea mom?" he asked, she smiled and opened her arms for a hug.

"how've you been?" she questioned, he smiled.

"i should be asking you, you're the soon-to-be birthday girl," he responded, she hit his arm lightly and pulled away from the hug.

"oh shh. what would you like for dinner?" she asked, he went silent trying to think of something to say.

"mom, i think i might make plans to go out tonight," he said.

"but i thought wyatt was out of town?"

"i made a new friend, actually. i ran into someone that i grew up with," he replied through his teeth, not knowing how she would respond.

"oh-um, okay honey... let me know though, okay?" finn nodded his head and headed back upstairs. he knew she'd have trouble with him reconnecting with someone from his past, but she's not confrontational like his dad.

finn:
{ hey, it's finn. wolfhard. are you free tonight?

hand held up to his mouth, he bit his nails with the muffled sound of his radio filling his ears. all he could wonder is if he was being pathetic, and he wished more than anything someone could be there to tell him he wasn't.

jack:
{ oh hey! so happy you reached out. i am actually, did you have something in mind?

finn:
{ just wondering if you'd be up for dinner? a bit of catching up?

jack:
{ i would love to.

finn:
{ how about 6:30? maybe cafe moxo?

jack:
{ that sounds perfect. i'll share my location with you soon!

finn:
{ awesome, see you soon.

jack clutched his shirt in his hand and let his goofy smile loose. "who's making you smile like that?" jack looked up to his best friend oliver.

"just someone i met today," he replied.

"cherliz will not be happy about that," oliver warned, jack looked jokingly offended.

"it's not like that! i reconnected with a childhood friend today who, for your information, is a boy," jack chuckled.

"ooh~ introduce me!" Oliver exclaimed, he hadn't been very lucky in the boy department.

"shut up! today's the first real time im talking to him in years, I don't even know if he swings that way," jack laughed.

"ok, ok, so what were you two talking about?" oliver asked.

"he asked if i wanted to hang out and catch up later, we just haven't really talked since he moved when we were like 12" jack smiled at himself but it didn't last long, because he was too excited and he didn't know why.