06

Familiar Faces, Memorable Places

A sunny day hangs over our heads as we watch the fire lizards sing and dance from our bench. Originally we came out here to the park to search for a place to plant my not-daisy flower as it has grown quite large. I, of course, still have another flower currently sitting at my window as a mere seed, and mother suggested earlier this week to plant this one. Kian then went on and suggested to plant it with the fire lizards, and I deemed it appropriate considering that it would add colour to the park. The greenery is nice to look at, but can become overbearing at times. More colour would spruce things up a bit.

"They're pretty." Kians voice brings me back to the present. Watching the fire lizards and the morning sun.

"You'll have to paint this."

He just nods and we continue watching in silence from our front row seat. Mother and father decided not to come, claiming we're old enough to take care of ourselves. Which we are. Our only restriction is to get home by dinner. That leaves us with three hours, which allows us to practise some more of our English without listeners. So, the freedom is a warm welcome.

As soon as the fire lizards finish their dance and disperse, bystanders begin leaving. We stand in unison and continue our way down the paved paths running deeper into the park.

"It's mind boggling to think that this place was once Earth," Kian says.

"If it weren't for the past couple years I'd think we were in Brazil," I agree. I pause for a moment in thought. My voice is barely above a whisper when I ask; "Do you ever miss them?"

Kians jaw clenches and his steps falter the smallest bit. In all our time in these bodies, we've talked about them all of a handful of times. That may've not been the best decision, if the small ache in my heart and Kians stiffness is anything to go by.

Silence encompasses us for several minutes, our steady footsteps and the forest the only things to be heard.

Finally, when I think he won't answer, he responds. "I do."

Releasing a sad breath, I take hold of my brothers hand and we continue.

"This looks like a nice place to stop," I comment after several minutes of walking. We stand at the near end of the path we've been walking, peaking out at the forest. Their isn't anything different about the trees or the green canopies, although their is a noticeable amount of uneaten fruit. Perhaps the fire lizards didn't come around here often?

It didn't matter. As long as there isn't any sicora or crawlers around, which is highly doubtful.

"What do we do now? Talk?"

"Sure. I just didn't want anyone hearing us," I explain.

Kian chuckles and we sit cross-legged across from the path. For the next couple hours, all we do is talk about anything that comes to mind. The English conversation flows steadily between us, sometimes switching to the Kymari's language.

A few times we gloss over sore subjects, leaving a discomforting air around us.

When I look up to the sky, instead of being greeted by bright blue, it's tainted with deep blues dipping into hints of purple pink sunset. Dinner is fast approaching, and it'll take awhile to follow the path out of the park. I wince at the image of an angry mother and father if we stay out passed our set curfew.