Twenty-Eight

Depuis le début

      "If someone doesn't give me hot chocolate before this day is over," Remus started with a serious expression. "I'll consider it a crime against humanity."

      "And, all of you call me dramatic?" Sirius demanded, looking disgusted. 

      "Wait, no," Remus interjected, ignoring his friend. "I'm a werewolf. I'll consider it a hate crime."

      Lily wrinkled her nose. "I don't think you know what a hate crime is." 

      They fell into a comfortable silence after this, enjoying their breakfast in peace. It was Christmas morning, after all. Snow was coming down in sheets outside. Much to Remus' delight, hot chocolate was served towards the end of the meal, and everything just felt cozy. 

     Charlie felt a tugging on the sleeve of her oversized sweater. She turned to see a small, brown eyed child staring up at her. The small girl wore a navy sweater with her hair tucked beneath a charcoal head covering.

     "Hi, Maya," Charlie greeted the small Ravenclaw. 

      "Happy Christmas," the girl answered. 

      Charlie made a noise. "You don't celebrate Christmas." 

      "But, you do," she answered earnestly. 

      Charlie's heart swelled. "That's very sweet of you, Maya. Thank you. You didn't want to go home?"

      The small girl shrugged. "My mum and dad work during Christmas because we don't celebrate it anyways, but all of my friends are gone." 

       "Would you like to sit with us?" Charlie asked with a smile.

      Maya grinned in return, climbing over the bench to sit next to Charlie. Lily pushed a glass of hot chocolate towards the small girl, and Maya sipped on in gingerly. 

      "How is your day going, Maya?" Peter asked kindly. 

      She swallowed her sip of cocoa. "Good," she answered. "But, I miss my friends."

      Charlie placed a hand on her shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "They'll be back soon." 

      "Besides," James interjected, mocking offense. "Don't we count as friends?"

      Maya giggled, leaning against Charlie to hide the burning in her cheeks. "You want to hang out with us today, Maya?" Charlie asked. 

      "Really?" 

      "Of course," Lily answered. "Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you shouldn't have to spend it alone." 

      Maya blinked several times. "Thank you," she whispered. 

      After they finished breakfast and several glasses of hot chocolate, the group of seven plus their one extra made their way out to the snow covered grounds of their school. They headed in the direction of the lake, huddling in on themselves as the wind was very sharp as it nipped at their exposed flesh. 

      James decided to test the layer of ice covering the body of water. He walked onto the icy surface hesitantly, holding his arms out in an attempt to keep his balance. Lily called after him, demanding that he be careful. 

      Charlie laughed. "Who wants to bet three galleons he falls through the ice?"

      "Fuck off, Riggs!" James called, lifting a middle finger above his head. 

       Lily hit her arm. "Not funny." 

       "I thought it was funny," Sirius added giving Charlie a look. Lily glared at him in return.