Chapter 10

Silhouette, Jacob Lee

Quote;

Tomorrow is waiting for you,
All you have to do is wake up.

Chapter 10.

     "So Cyrus, if that is even your real name, who reported you missing?"

    "I-I uh, I don't know."

    His forehead creases and I take a step back, lowering my head. Kareem sighs, placing a hand on my shoulder. Giving it a light squeeze, he gestures towards the bed.

    "Sit down."

    Briefly meeting his eyes, I search for some type of reassurance. Some sign that'll let me know I'll be okay. I don't find it, instead I am met with something different. Indifference.

     Sitting down on the bed, Kareem begins to pace. "Look, Lay- Cyrus. Whatever the hell your name is. You need to be straight with me on this, okay? You gotta be honest with me."

     I nod.

    "Why didn't you tell me your actual name?"

     "Didn't know you."

     "You're in my house. Don't you think I should've known your real name by now?" He says, angrily.

    "I guess."

    "Who reported you missing?"

     Fiddling with my fingers, I take a deep breath. "My — my boyfriend."

    Kareem stops pacing and stares at me for a minute, eyes shifting. "I'm guessing there's a reason you ain't with him right now."

     As soon as he says that I lower my gaze and focus solely on my feet. In that moment, they become my sole source of entertainment. They move about, anxiously, and Kareem comes and plops down next to me.

     "Look, you can stay here. Long as you here, you gotta be straight up with me. I don't wanna have no surprises. Is there anything else you've been keeping from me?"

    "No."

    "Cyrus."

    "Honest."

    His eyes soften, "I didn't mean to yell at you or anything. I don't like being lied to. It's a respect thing. You be upfront with me and I'm gonna be the same way with you."

     Wiping at my nose, I nod. "Thank you for letting me stay. Even though I uh, kept some stuff from you."

     "Surprise surprise."

     "What-"

    "You can actually talk full sentences without stuttering. I was beginning to think you couldn't." He laughs and my cheeks redden at the sound.

     "I don't stutter all the time.."

     Kareem chuckles, soon taking note of my expression. He nudges me and I stiffen, although he doesn't seem to notice.

     "I'm just kidding, now I'll let you sleep. Goodnight."

    "Night."