Seventeen

Driver Zhou did arrive half an hour later. He profusely apologized to Lin Zhicheng, saying that the traffic was bad and he couldn't progress at all.

Lin Zhicheng was very generous. He only said, "I understand," and folded the blanket that covered his broad shoulders, giving it to Shi Xiao Xi. Mr. Han was also full of appreciation and couldn't help but apologize to her.

"Miss Shi, I'm very sorry for the intrusion. Next time, I'll treat you to a meal once again."

Because their dinner was upstaged by Lin Zhicheng's affairs, Mr. Han didn't manage to talk properly to Shi Xiao Xi. There was still an important question that he needed to ask her.

Lin Zhicheng heard him. Frowning, he said, "Why are you the one treating her to a meal? You're my employee, for better or for worse. I should be the one treating her to a meal."

Shi Xiao Xi, "..."

That face of his was certainly thick.

She said, "Mr. Han, CEO Lin, it's quite alright. I only did what I was supposed to do. There's no need for any of that."

Lin Zhicheng firmly shook his head and said sternly, "Nonsense. Taking you out for a meal is the least that I can do."

Shi Xiao Xi didn't bother to reply to him. Lin Zhicheng was too used on getting his own way, and arguing with him would only serve to make her jump down a rabbit hole.

As soon as they left, Shi Xiao Xi cleaned the room. The wet towels were put on the laundry basket, the candles were blown out and returned back to the drawer, while the mugs were washed and dried. After finally doing all these chores, Shi Xiao Xi took a bath and applied anti-aging serum on her face.

She blow-dried her hair while checking her phone, reading the news. She once read that the Chunlan group were having some problems with keeping hotel clients, as more and more visitors and tourists preferred OTAs like Airbnb and Tujia.

Shi Xiao Xi bit down on her pencil as she slowly wrote down her suggestions, hoping it would one day become useful and heard by her boss.

...

Lin Zhicheng opened his eyes.

He glanced at the digital clock by the bedside table and wasn't surprised to see that it was only two o'clock in the morning. These past few months, he had barely gotten any sleep at all.

He removed the slender arm that was wrapped around his waist and threw the naked woman beside him a disinterested glance. He put on a sleeping robe and got out of the bedroom, his light footsteps echoing through the wide hallway as he made his way towards the swimming pool.

Along the way, there were many paintings on the wall, all covered by a white cloth. These were the paintings Ai Wei had drawn during her 'artistic' years, which Lin Zhicheng had hung on his villa despite her loud protests.

Lin Zhicheng had made it a habit to at least swim a few laps on the pool to maintain his figure. And every time before he got out, he would sink to the bottom of the floor, and hold his breath.

It was the only time he would feel at peace, as if the world had became quiet and still.

As soon as he lifted his head out of the water, he saw a woman standing by the edge of the pool. She wore nothing except for a see-through nightgown that showed him everything.

Lin Zhicheng got out of the pool, water droplets sliding down his sculpted chest. He threw a towel over his shoulders and ignoring the woman, he passed by her and walked straight towards the kitchen.

"Zhicheng~"

The woman immediately scurried over after him and clung to his arm.

"Why don't you come back to bed? I'll make you breakfast~"

Without an expression on his face, he shook off her arm and continued on prepping the ingredients.

"Wear some clothes and go see yourself out. Han will give you your payment slip as requested."

The woman's heart sank. She had heard the rumors that this young CEO was a cold-blooded person, but she never thought that it would be to this extent. How could someone be so passionate in bed and then treat her like a stranger the next day?

And it wasn't as if she was just some random slut he had picked off the streets. She was the only daughter of another big company, with good reputation in their social circle. If it hadn't been Lin Zhicheng who had propositioned to her, she would have certainly thrown the red wine that she was drinking on his face.

The woman pouted her lips. "I don't want your money. Why don't you at least try going out with me for a while? I promise you won't regret it."

Lin Zhicheng threw the vegetables he had peeled and chopped into the pan.

"Your father is about to file for bankruptcy next month. Are you sure you don't need the money?"

Her face paled. She knew that their company was deteriorating. That was why she wore revealing clothes to attract Lin Zhicheng in that party, to get his attention. But it was a top-secret information that only a few people in their family knew. How did Lin Zhicheng manage to know about it?

"Go see yourself out. I won't repeat myself twice."

As soon as the woman left, Lin Zhicheng brewed himself some chamomile tea. He took a sip, and immediately scrunched up his face.

"So bitter."

He had remembered the chamomile tea he had drank at her apartment.

Why was her tea so delicious, while the one he brewed didn't taste good at all?