23: Caught in the Family Drama 2

BACK TO THE PRESENT...
*
*
*
Now I remember why I got dragged into this bullshít. It was because I figured I could slip past the guards once they get preoccupied on the family issue and return home by myself.

But now that Amane has said something which triggered Killua to run away, naturally, I chased him in hopes of finding an airport. After all, we're both trying to leave this place.

To my surprise, Killua was too fast for my ass to keep up. I can't even fathom how he's doing it while carrying another person in his small arms. Fortunately for me, nen will always get deflated after a certain period of time and I'll just have to deal with his incredible speed for the meantime.

The problem was that clever boy jumped over the cemented road at the end of the beds of grass and used his ability once again. I barely saw which way he went but thanks to the sign on the corner, I have learnt that I only need to travel forty kilometers straight ahead to reach the nearest city.

I temporarily leaned my back on the low brick wall surrounding the forest to catch my breath. The sky being clear was a drawback especially when the sun is so high up in the sky and there's no water on sight.

The faint presence of that old lady behind came to my attention and nearly gave me a heart attack. I instantly conjured a crystal knife for defense. Contrary to my expectations, she just smiled like a typical elder when they need something from a stranger. And I wish I was wrong about my intuition.

"Child, as you can see, I've got no time for this. How about we make a deal? Help me capture them and I shall offer you your freedom in return."

"It's impossible." I waved my hand as a sign of defeat. "Haven't you seen how fast that boy was? I've been tailing him for awhile now and I can't even shorten our gap despite my age!" Oops. I probably shouldn't have said that.

"Wait," Tsubone called her colleagues and instructed them to follow us to the airport. I was patiently waiting for her to spit her plan out when all of a sudden, she transformed into a big bike. "What are you waiting for? We have to hurry."

"But I don't have any experience riding a motorcycle!" I can already imagine us falling down the cliff straight ahead.

"No worries. I control everything. You only have to fuel it with your aura."

I highly doubted her words but apparently, those were true. I didn't have to exert any effort on maneuvering over the zigzag road and it was a good ride until I started to feel dizzy. Fortunately, we have arrived to the airport before I passed out.

Once I regained consciousness, the first person I saw was the girl I have fought with earlier. Kanaria. She is looking down at me with such a fierce gaze. "She's finally awake."

"Where... am I?" My hoarse voice barely left my drying lips. I feel so drained. It's like a big boulder of rock is sitting atop of my body and I can't move a muscle.

"In an airship." She imply replied and without further explanation.

"You promised to let me go..." I glared daggers at the old woman standing near the large glass window across the two girls.

"Of course I shall honor our agreement. Believe it or not, you've earned your freedom. In fact, you can leave anytime you want. If... you can move that is."

"What did you do to me...?"

"I may have drawn all your energy." She spoke innocently then turned her back on me. "Don't fret, rest well enough till we land on our destination and you're as good as new."

She didn't have to force me. My eyelids automatically shut down after getting relieved. I did feel a bit better the next time I woke up. The whole crew have disappeared and I was led by a guard out of the airship.

I shook my head and proceeded to the counter. I've never been so relieved knowing that I was only a continent away from Chrollo's safe house, upon inquiring information on a staff. One direct flight is all I need. The problem was Kukan'yu Kingdom is a vast place to be, particularly to a broke person like me.

"I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience but the airship you were asking for has departed an hour ago. The next one is supposed to leave tomorrow morning." The young brunette gestured for me to sit on a nearby folding chair and gave me a booklet of the available hotels I can stay for the night.

"Err... to be honest, I'm actually in a hurry. Is there any other way I could travel to Jappon tonight?" I asked in a polite manner. I figured there's no point on checking in a hotel if I don't have the money anyway, whereas riding an aircraft would give me an advantage to sneak inside undetected.

"You can avail our service ma'am. A car is always available for tourists and we can send you all the way to the port. From there, you can ride a ship before midnight." She smiled softly and guided me to the awaiting limo outside. The ride smells great with all the new leather coverings but the former car's fluffy seat was way better.

That family really was something. For me to get everything I need without having to beg is very convenient. Now I regret lying and wished I had chosen to stay in a hotel. I sighed deeply and eventually closed my eyes as I calculated how long the trip would take. "Haah... it's already dusk and this long journey will definitely bore the hell out of me."

Approximately half an hour later, I almost bumped my left temple onto the window if I wasn't quick enough to grab ahold of the passenger's seat. Something has hit the windshield and the middle-aged driver suddenly went sidetrack.

"What the—?" I literally imagined us crashing in one of the trees and blowing up yet he magically steered the wheel to a narrow rough path down the woods. "Stop the car!" I ordered while trying to open the door yet it appears that he has locked every corner using a switch.

"I can't... not without Master Illumi's permission."