Chapter Nine

Mulai dari awal

It was impressive but arrogant. They’d been taught never to throw swords because there was a high risk that they wouldn’t get them back. Crow-talon was a show off, but he was arrogant and naïve – two qualities that had to be weeded out if he was going to be a real combat-hunter. In Aspen-leaf’s opinion, her comrades considered themselves to have graduated already, when in fact it was only dire circumstances and the arrival of a new generation of dragons that had prompted Cliff-breeze to promote the to a new rank. They were all still students, fighting for heroism, popularity, honor, revenge, or whatever other personal reasons had caused them to join.

Aspen-leaf was stolen away from her thoughts by Hawk-wing’s attempt. He drew back his loaded bow, brow furrowing with concentration, before sending his arrow into the wooden target. For the second time Aspen-leaf noted that she would have pulled back farther before letting go. Still, she could see that hawk-wing had been practicing – his arrow hit the target with more force than usual. His aim, though, was about the same as it had been last time she’d observed him – in need of improvement.

Descending from where she’d been spying on her comrades from, Aspen-leaf headed over to them, confident strides making her seem more like the leader she had to be. Fire-flight would have to wait, these elves needed to improve at an unbelievable rate if they were going to be combat-ready and have time to train their dragons in the next few weeks.

“Good job setting this place up.” She commented upon arrival, but it was a statement rather than a compliment and no one thanked her – they all knew that they would be ignored if they did. Continuing, she used a hasher tone, “But, of course, we’ve got a lot of work to do. You’re supposed to be combat hunters not obstacle course designers!” Some of them looked down in embarrassment, while others clenched their teeth, suppressing their anger. “Hawk-wing –” she gestured to the elf in question, “more effort, more force. Hidden-stream, more accuracy – you have to care.” She turned to the elves who’d been duling, “Black-robin, North-pine – I’m fully aware that your experience is not with this type of blade, but you can’t go on like this. It’s essential that you learn to handle yourselves with any weapon your given.” Turning to the last two elves she sighed, shaking her head, “Glacial stone, have you forgotten what armour is? Every time we do this someone has to lecture you on your aim. Force alone will not be enough for us to win this battle,” Now she was speaking to her entire team, “We were selected for our potential, but we’ll need more than that if we are to succeed.” Suddenly, Aspen-leaf realised why Cliff-breeze always sounded so ominous. “Let’s get to work!”

The second those words left her mouth, Aspen-leaf’s teammates dispersed, head off to new stations. There was a lot of work to be done, but the teenage elf was determined. This was her world and when she was in her element, there was no stopping her. It was obvious that she’d have to start with their strengths, that way they’d have at least one skill perfected by the time the battle arrived. First, though, she had to deal with Crow-talon. Understandably, she questioned her decision not to humiliate him in front of him comrades. He deserved it, but at the same time she didn’t want to have her squad hate her too much by the time the war began.

“Crow-talon,” she addressed him upon arrival, “how naïve of you to think that you’d get away with you actions. In fact, I think quite a few of your actions today could be described as naïve.” Straightening his posture, he opened his mouth to argue, but Aspen-leaf got there first. “You will spend the rest of the day cleaning up after your fellow citizens. The clearing should be spotless by sunset.

Watching the fourteen-year-old wandering away, she felt a spark of pity, quickly pushing it away. Bent over, he began to pick up a branch that lay on the ground. With his hand millimeters from the scrap of wood, he paused, perhaps thinking of saying something to her, but if he did she didn’t hear it and he continued with his task.

Soon, the teenagers had settled into their new routine, with Aspen-leaf wandering in between, correcting their errors. Hidden-stream stood facing a punching bag; he threw left punch, then a right one, ducking to the side before kneeing his imaginary opponent in the side. Another punch and a few blocks later, Aspen-leaf took the three steps needed to bring her to his side. The fourteen-year-old boy slammed his fist into the punching bag where his opponent’s face would be.

As he drew it back to punch again Aspen-leaf caught his wrist, standing behind him, she cautioned him, asking, “If I’d just punched your face what would you do?” She sensed him stiffen in embarrassment, realising his mistake. Slowly, he mumbled the answer, and she made him repeat it, louder this time.

“I would kick them.” A slight smile crept onto her face at seeing him so tense, he was always so relaxed. She guessed that he wasn’t used to being corrected by a girl, much less one younger than him.

“Right,” she confirmed, “so maybe it’s a better idea to block than punch again.” He nodded and she released her grip on his right forearm, steeping back to visit her next victim. As she left, though she glanced back at Hidden-stream to see proof of him at least trying to predict his opponent’s next move. Hopefully, with a little practice, the elf would improve his strategy and she could focus on someone else.

An hour or so passed as Aspen-leaf adjusted the angle of Red-rock’s sword and made Black-robin do push ups, all the while lecturing Hidden-stream on strategy. She’d told Cliff-breeze that her team was no top of everything, but hidden-stream just wasn’t able to grasp complex troop placement strategies. Her best argument at the moment was to mention how North-pine had been to the border. As far as she was concerned, unless he was a commander, it made no difference where he’d fought, but some elves seemed impressed by titles and especially by those who claimed they’d fought at the border.

The twang of a bow string brought her back to the present, turning to see who’d fired the arrow. Hawk-wing’s aim was off as usual, and Aspen-leaf forced herself to help him, even though she despised the idea – each member of her team had to be as sharp as possible when the time came for them to ride into battle.

As she approached him, she reached out, taking hold of his arms and correcting their angle so that he could put more power into his shots, then pulling back on his right arm, stretching the string to its limit, before adjusting the aim. Stepping back, she watched him concentrating hard as he let the arrow go, shooting forwards as it rocketed for the target. That split second seemed to slow down in Aspen-leaf’s mind, her eyes locked on Hawk-wing while his arrow hit the target almost perfectly. She let out a small snort of a laugh that she hoped he hadn’t heard at seeing his surprised expression.

Once again, Aspen-leaf suppressed her emotions, unwilling to give in. She’d seen too many brave warriors die because they went back for a friend. Birch-whisperer would be proud to see how strong she’d become, how much of a leader she was to these teenagers. For now, she was able to satisfy herself with her accomplishments, having no need for emotion, but she couldn’t help wondering how long she could keep it up.