Chapter 39 ~ Work this out

Start from the beginning

"Vis!" Wanda scolds. "We talked about this."

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." He gestures to the door but stops himself as he looks at Wanda's blank face. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." Vision says.

"Oh right! I forgot about that." I say.

Yeah so Stark called Dad saying he had some way to make up for what happened in Lagos, but Dad said he sounded strange on the phone. I don't know why, but I guess we'll be finding out real soon.

"Thank you. We'll be right down." Dad says to him.

"I'll... use the door." Vision points to the door. He turns around before completely walking out. "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?" Dad asks him.

"The Secretary of State." And with that he walks out of the room.

The three of us look at each other.

"Ah fuck," I mumble.

Dad slaps the back of my head and gives me his fatherly look. He looks at Wanda and I. "Behave yourselves." Wanda and I nod.

I get up and stretch. "Want a ride?" I ask, looking at the two.

They look at each other and then look at me and shrug. "Why not," Wanda says.

I smile and grab Wanda first since she's lighter than Dad and bring her to the conference room where we will be having the meeting. Rhodey, Natasha, Tony, Sam, and Vision are already there. I run back to get Dad and then run to get Roy too. When I set him down he runs straight to the trashcan and hurls his guts out. I wince and go over and pat his back.

"A warning would have been nice," Roy says as his head is still in the trash can. "I just ate."

"My bad," I say to him. He lifts his head up. "You good?"

He nods as he stands up. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine."

I nod and we make our way over to the Secretary of State, General Ross, as he finishes introducing himself to Wanda and Dad.

"General Ross, I'm Roy." Roy introduces himself as he holds out his hand.

Ross shakes his hand. "It's good to meet you. Aren't you a bit young for this?"

Roy shrugs. "Yeah, but I live for the danger."

Roy takes a seat at the table while I go to introduce myself. I hold my hand out to the man and he shakes it.

"Speedy right?" He asks me. "Fastest person alive."

I nod as we pull our hands away. "That's me."

"Fast enough to save people from an exploding building?" He asks.

I open my mouth to say something but then close it. Wow he really gonna come at me like that. He acts like I didn't even try. Good first impression buddy because now I already hate you. I frown as I take my seat in between Roy and Vision. So on one end of the table it's Wanda, Vision, me, and then Roy. On the other side it's Rhodey, Natasha, Dad and Sam.

"You might want to lose the look," Roy whispers to me.

"Did you hear how he ca—" I argue.

"(Y/n)!" Dad whispers harshly.

I sigh and fix my face, trying not to glare at the man standing at the head of the table. Once Ross sees we're all settled he starts the meeting.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my backswing." He has his hands up, holding an imaginary bat. "Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: perspective." He looks at all of us individually as he stands at the head of the table. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word, vigilantes."