Part 2: The Past

Seventeen year old Yue sits alone at the front of the classroom, checking that she has brought all her school supplies with her

Seventeen year old Yue sits alone at the front of the classroom, checking that she has brought all her school supplies with her. It is two weeks into the new school year and she is eager to get learning. Next year will be her final year at Hunan high and then she can finally go to University to study architecture. It has been a dream of hers since she was ten years old. High school has been quite uneventful for her. As an overachiever, she is the class monitor and therefore pretty much unpopular with most of the kids in her class. Her friend at this school, Xiao Wen, is in another class, so they eat lunch, study and walk home together.

The teacher walks into the classroom, followed by a sullen looking boy. The girls in the class are now alert, as they scope out his gorgeous sculptured features. Who is this guy? He looks like a brooding tortured type. Sexy! Yue, who is reading something, looks up to see what all the whispers are about. At that moment the boy's eyes land on her and he just glares at her. She shivers... she feels unnerved. She quickly looks away, eager not to put herself on anyone's radar.

"Class, I would like you to meet the new student, a transfer from the Sichuan province. His name is Wang He Di. Wang He Di this is every one. Take a seat...uh..." The teacher looks around the classroom. "Ah...yes next to Shen Yue over there, she is the class monitor. That will be your seat for the rest of the year."

With his back to the teacher, He Di walks towards his seat, rolls his eyes and mumbles under his breath.

"That's just great...the class monitor!"

Yue sees this, and somehow it stings that the new guy is already biased against her, because of her position. He throws his bag onto the desk, sits down, and his scent immediately fills the space between them. He smells like cologne, mints and cigarettes. Intoxicating! Yue tries hard to focus, but smoking is forbidden at school. Should she mention that to him? Maybe not, he doesn't look like the type that would listen to her.

The lesson begins and he takes out his books. He rummages through his bag for a little while, and then sighs, frustrated. Yue finds him distracting, how will she concentrate on class if he is like this.

"Shit!" He whispers. "Shit, shit, shit!"

Yue tries to ignore him, but it's difficult because he keeps swearing. Unable to take it any longer she turns to face him, and in an annoyed tone says,

"What!"

"What do you mean what?" He growls.

"What is your problem?"

"Who says I have a problem?"

"I'm trying to listen to the teacher."

"I'm not stopping you from listening to the teacher."

"You are distracting me!"

"How is that my fault?"

"Well stop swearing! Besides, it's not allowed." She says matter of factly.