Chapter 23

He looked at her. Her cool visage was remarkable, dainty and it unnerved him. Just hours ago he dreaded the thought of having to throw her over his shoulders, hissing and scratching like a cat to leave Dunkirk Manor. But, to his surprise she was dressed and ready with Sarah by her side.

She did not budge or show any sign of expression when he mentioned they would be going back so soon.

Not a word was exchanged between them or a look. Breathing heavily he leaned closer to his side of the seat praying for this torture to end.

He could not stand her silence!!!

It had been two days since they had returned and Dominic left her with her family. She sat quietly during breakfast listening to her grandfather who had just arrived from London on important business.

She was crestfallen to hear that tonight would be Dominic and Lady Hannah's engagement party and to her utter shock her family was invited. She wanted to scream and kick something.

Her thoughts were broken by Jeoffry entering and announcing the arrival of a package and letter for Emilia.

Surprised at what it could be she stood and walked towards Jeoffry with smile. He gently handed her the letter.

"Gertrude has placed your box on your bed."

Puzzled she nodded her head.

She looked down at the letter with the elegant handwritten initial A.V.

Adam VanCamp

Her heart sank she hadn't thought of him since she arrived. So much has happened she didn't remember he was away.

Slowly she opened the letter less anxious to read it contents.

Dear Emilia,
I hope this letter finds you in good health. Please excuse my absence, for I have been very tied up with business matters. I will be arriving later this evening to attend Lord McAllister's and Lady Hannah's engagement party. If you do not mind, I have taken the liberty in sending you a gown to wear. When I saw it, I thought of you and how absolutely breathtaking you will look in it. Again, forgive my delay.
I will see you soon,
Lord Evers
Adam

Breathing deeply she folded it.

"Emilia dear what does it say?" Her aunt asked.

Turning she looked at the prying eyes at the table.

"It is a letter from Lord Evers, he will be joining us at the engagement party. He ...sent a gown for me to wear."

With a giggle and a clap, her aunt cheerfully stood from her chair and walked towards her.

"That is wonderful, mon cher," she beamed.

With a blink of an eye, her aunt squeezed her in a loving embrace before holding her hands and pulling her towards the hall up the stairs to her room.

She stood quietly next to Gertrude as her aunt cooed and awed at the gown pulled out of the box.

And indeed it was breathtaking. It was a beautiful elegant green gown, the bodice laced with an exquisite beading design.

It was divine her aunt gasped.

It was a package complete from head to toe.

Slippers, gloves, pearls and all. Fit for a princess a card read.

She went through the motions of being fixed up and dressed. The whole time her heart and soul was somewhere else slowly but surely dying.

The gasps that came from her aunt, Gertrude and Sarah when they finished told her much more than what she felt looking at herself in the mirror.