Chapter 16

She sat nervously listening to the gossip, the torrid love affairs gone awry, the divorce of one couple, the lovers passed thru this and that person. One newly heard was Lady Hannah's husband the Duke was ill, perhaps on his deathbed. Secretly she prayed it was not so because if it was she would no doubt want to sink her paws into Dominic. She looked down at herself. She was nothing like her. She was voluptuous, beautiful, with class and prestige. In truth, she was holding onto something that was impossible, she would never be Dominic's wife. So, why keep him from her?

Night had fallen and like some or other nights, he would sneak in to be with her. They lay awake whispering about each other's day. A slipped giggle and chuckle would be hushed with a kiss, like children they slid beneath the covers and continued their chatter in hushed voices.

The warm fire crackled and the low light from the fire gave the room a soft glow.

Content they lay facing one another.

After a while, she looked away from his eyes and turned on her back. Shortly he moved on his elbow and looked down at her.

"What is wrong?"

She looked into his eyes.

"I heard that Lady Hannah's husband is ill and possibly may die." her voice was low, but he could hear the worry in it.

He stayed silent for a while looking down at her.

"If that happens, she will come looking for you." She murmured softly.

"And what makes you think I would have her." He chuckled.

She lowered her eyes.

"You two have a past. Besides, she is.. Very beautiful and wealthy." she sadly averted her gaze.

He gently caressed her cheek, bringing her eyes to his.

"We have a past, Emilia and that is all it is. A past, I don't love her, I love you. No riches in the world would ever change that. And as far as beauty goes, you by far my love are more beautiful."

"Yes, but...."

As stubborn as he knew her to be, he rolled his eyes mockingly and buried his face in her neck and listened to her blurt out her worries and concerns until she was done.

Looking down at her, he smiled at her caressing her cheek with the back of his hand.

A little bothered that he wasn't taking her worries seriously, her brows furrowed. A look that he hadn't seen in so long, but on her it never marred her gorgeous eyes.

"You know you look enchanting when you get upset. Your eyes darken and your cheeks turn red." He teased.

"m'lord are you listening to me." she pouted.

With raised brows, he looked at her.

"So, we are back to formalities are we now?" he chuckled.

Silently she looked away from his teasing smile.

With a sigh, he pulled her closer and kissed her lips.

Lying above her, he cradled himself between her legs.

"How can I show you that you have nothing to worry about?" his voice husky and warm against her lips.

He kissed her again.

"You are the only one I love."

Her eyes filled with worry stared into his for reassurance; he glided her chemise up to her waist and smiled at her response to his touch. She was ready for him.