CHAPTER 9

Emily's pov

We enter my room and shut the door. If he really is here to study then I can't do it without closing my door.

Any and all sounds, no matter how minimal, will distract me and cause me to lose focus.

The only source of light in my room is my nightlight, shining dimly and bouncing off my brick colored walls.

I turn around to find Axel already sitting on my bed, looking around.

"Nice room you got here Brown." He says.

"It looks way better when I'm inside, rather than standing at my window and watching you sleep at night." He continues.

"What?!" I exclaim, freaking out at the thought of someone staring at me. More importantly, witnessing my awkward sleeping positions that will eventually break my back.

"Relax, I'm kidding." He chuckles, propping my pillows against my headboard and making himself comfortable.

I relax a little, but make a mental note to always go to bed with my curtains closed.

"Okay now tell me, did you really come over for me to tutor you?" I ask skeptically.

"Yeah, why else would I come here?" He asks rudely.

I don't answer and move to my desk to prepare my history notes.

"Wait..." Axel trails off.

I turn to ask what he was gonna say, but my words get stuck in my throat.

Axel is standing in front of me, his eyes looking deeply into mine with wonder.

He takes a step closer to me, and I can't help but take a step back.

I mentally curse myself out, retreating will only entice the predator to go after it's prey.

He takes another step forward, then another, and traps me against the wall.

Shoot, I scold myself for the situation I allowed myself to get into. This is so cliché.

He puts his hands on either side of my head and leans closer.

"W-what are you doing?" I foolishly stutter.

He looks at me and brings his lips to my ear. His breath smelling like fresh mint.

My hormones are running wild and it's getting harder to breathe. Why does he have so much control over me?

I've never been this close to a guy before. I've never had a boyfriend, have not had my first kiss yet, and definitely have never felt the way I'm feeling right now.

My chest is rising and falling with every breath I struggle to take.

After what seems like hours of us standing there, with him breathing down my neck and sending goosebumps all over my body.

He finally speaks.

But after hearing the words that left his plump lips, I wish he never did.

"You didn't actually think I came here for you right?" He whispers.

The blood drains from my face and I feel like I just saw a ghost.

How can he come here, ask for my help, invade my personal space and on top of that make me feel like an absolute idiot?

"What? N-no I didn't." My voice is barely audible and I feel like the room is getting smaller with every passing second.

"Don't flatter yourself Emily, I don't date." He says with a serious expression on his face.

I frown, not knowing what to say.

"But don't be sad, I can always show you a fun time." He smirks. His breath fanning my lips. "Those luscious lips of yours look lonely." He continues.

I gulp and gather the courage to gently push him away from me.

"Stop it Axel, you either be serious and we focus on your assignment, or you stop wasting both of our time and leave." I tell him sternly.

"Fine." He huffs and sits back on my bed.

Just then my mom opens the door.

"I brought snacks!" She says and lays brownies on my desk.

"Thanks." Axel and I say in unison and she leaves.

The next hour and a half is spent with me explaining the material to Axel, and him being distracted every few minutes.

But thankfully, by the time we finish, it's 7:42 p.m.

"So do you like it here so far?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"Here?" He asks.

"America." I clarify.

"It's okay I guess, but nothing can compare to London. It's where I grew up, it's everything I know." He answers.

"Yeah I get it, I can't imagine leaving here and moving to another country." I say, not wanting to think about what it would be like.

"I didn't either, it just sort of happened." He mumbles and picks at his brown leather bracelet, which has an ellipse shaped metal, with the name "Sophia" carved on it.

How did I not notice that before?

"What made you move here anyway?" I ask.

I know it probably isn't any of my business, but I can't help it. I'm nosey.

And he's such a closed off and private person, I want to get a glimps of his life before he came here.

His eyebrows furrow, and his once smooth forhead wrinkles, "That doesn't concern you." He snaps and stands up.

"Are we done here?" He asks impatiently.

"I didn't mean to pry." I say quickly.

"Whatever." He says, takes his jacket and leaves the room.

I wonder what happened back home that has affected him so greatly.

It must be something terrible to cause Axel so much evident pain.

I shake the thought of the terrible possibilities of could have happened, and go after him.

But when I reach downstairs, I'm too late.

I watch Axel thank my mother, and bid Max goodbye.

I open my mouth to say something, but the look he gives me renders me speechless.