CHAPTER 8

Emily's pov

I blush when he looks away. Why is he staring at me?

Catherine freaking Jones is sitting next to him, sure she might not be the sharpest tool in the box, but she's nice to look at.

With her sapphire blue eyes, and dirty blonde hair, who wouldn't look at her?

It's a shame that her ugly personality dominates her beauty in every way.

The bell signaling the end of lunch time stop my thoughts dead in their tracks.

I return my tray to the lunch lady, and head to class.

"Hey Emily!" A deep voice sounds from behind me.

I stop and turn around, Axel is trying to make his way towards me and I don't know how I feel about that.

I turn back around and walk faster, praying that I make it to class before he catches up to me.

I've had enough embarrassment in one day to last me a lifetime, I don't need any more.

I quicken my pace when I hear heavy footsteps following me.

"Emily, wait!" Axel shouts from behind me.

No no no, I can't deal with this right now. The longer I walk, I realize that the halls are getting emptier.

I panic and quickly round the corner and open the first door on my left.
I close the door behind me and notice it's the music room that we used before they decided to move it to the 2nd floor.

Shoot what am I doing here? Emily this isn't like the movies, you can't just escape from a hot guy chasing you and completely forget about your class! My subconscious scolds me.

How can I be so stupid? Why did I even run in the first place? I could've just let him talk to me...

My stomach does flips when I think of that... what could he possibly have to say to me?

I sigh. I don't have time to overthink right now, I'll deal with this later.

I take a deep breath, open the door and head to class.

Thankfully, school ends and I managed to avoid Axel all day. I don't know why I'm doing this, but I know that earlier in the cafeteria I felt something, and I don't want to find out what that is.

I get to the parking lot and walk to the parked bus that is piling up with tired teenagers just waiting to go home and rest from a long day in school.

I can't help but glance at the spot where Axel parked his motorcycle this morning, only to find it empty.

I get on the bus, plug my earbuds in and tune out the world.

When I get home, Axel's motorcycle isn't in his driveway.

Emily stop thinking about him! He's a jerk remember? Let that be the way you view him, he's trouble.

I shake the questions of where he might be and enter my house.

"Hey Em." Max greets as I shut the door.

"Hey Max. Where's mom?" I ask and enter the kitchen.

"She got called into work at the hospital, she said she'll be here around six!" He shouts.

"Okay!" I shout back, grab a banana and head upstairs to review my algebra notes.

By the time I finish I realize it's starting to get dark outside.

I look at my nightstand and the blinking green light reads 5:48 p.m.

Mom should be home soon. I put away my notes and tidy my desk, not wanting it to look messy, or else the next day I'd be discouraged from studying.

I know it probably sounds weird, but everything has to be neat and organized in order for me to study.

I hear the front door open and my mother's warm voice follows.

"I'm home! Emily, look who I ran into at the door!" She shouts from downstairs.

I frown. Who could it be? Brooke would inform me before she comes over.

I hope and pray that it isn't who I think it is...

I head downstairs and my prayers go unanswered. Axel freaking King is standing in my livingroom talking to my mom.

Why does this have to happen to me? It takes everything in me not to turn around and retreat to my room. Where I am safe from all things evil, including a green eyed English guy.

I don't even have the chance to choose since my mother spots me and calls me over.

"Emily don't be rude, come greet our guest!" She says.

"Hey." I say in a small voice, trying desperately to make eye contact with him to ease the awkward tension but failing miserably.

I don't know what is up with me and eye contact, but I just can't look at people in the eyes for long periods of time, it makes me nervous.

"Hey." Axel smirks.

"Axel was just telling me he came over to ask for your help with a history assignment." She says.
"He said he tried to get ahold of you at school but you ignored him." She continues and looks at me disapprovingly.

So that's what he wanted to say? God I feel so stupid for even thinking it could be anything else. Just because he supposedly looked at me a couple of times at lunch doesn't mean he is interested in me.

We aren't in middle school, we're senior's for God's sake!

"Uhh, yeah sorry I was late for class and didn't have time to spare." I cough awkwardly and look away.

"It's okay Emily I get it, can you help me now?" Axel asks in the sweetest voice ever.

I know he's putting on a show in front of my mother.

"Of course she can!" My mom answers for me.

"You two can go up to Emily's room and start, I'll prepare some snacks." She says.

"Thank you Mrs. Brown." Axel thanks her and gives her a beautiful smile.

"You're welcome sweetie, now go!" Mom tells us and gently shoves us up the stairs.

I reluctantly oblige and head upstairs, when I reach the top of the steps, I look down.

I'm shocked by what I notice.

My mom smiles and winks at me!